Skip to content
frequent bowel accidents
mattdamonishot posted:
Has anyone had bowel accidents from UC??? It seems like I get the urge and before it even registers I have already had a BM before makign it to the bathroom. I am nwo weaqrign Depends all the time and I am only 39. It is so embarrassing and upsetting. ti happened at the store yesterday and while at work today. This has reallys tarted happenign int he last week or so and I have had 2 Remicade treatments already. It really seemed to work after the first treatment but has not been good after the 2nd one last Friday.

Has this happened to anyone?? What was done for it????
FirstPrevious12NextLast

hannahleigh89 responded:
Bah, I posted a thing and WebMD didn't work right and I lost it. Dang.

Anyway, I said that I only had trouble with it right after my ostomy was reconnected to my butt, following the removal of my colon, and only while I was sleeping. I started using fiber supplements, like Metamucil and Benefiber, and within a week, it stopped. I don't know if it's because I healed more so I gained more control or if it was actually the fiber, but it couldn't hurt to try.

arbob5 responded:
It hasn't happened to me, but sometimes it felt like it was getting pretty close to that. But so far, no.

But, I do have a friend with UC and it happens to her occasionally. She wears Depends also, because she just doesn't know when or if it will happen again. This is, I guess, just one of the many "downfalls" of UC or any IBD. Hopefully the Remicade will really "kick in" and it won't happen again. Lets just wait and see.

mindyj1971 responded:
Oh, I am so sorry that you are going through that. I have Crohn's but went through the same thing. I, too, was wearing Depends (I was 38 at the time). Man, did that mess with my head! Nothing really helped me, unfortunately....Crohn's settled in my rectum and was so horribly painful. I ended up with a colostomy and then Crohn's attacked at my surgery site and did too much damage to my colon. I just had my rectum and colon removed in December. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it really has given me some quality of life back. I was going to the bathroom (when I could make it there) up to 30 times a day...and each time felt like I was passing shards of jagged glass:( I am still partially recovering from that surgery...just trying to get my strength back, but at least I can leave the house now without worry and I am not in agonizing pain 24/7. I hope that you find something that works for you. I truly do remember how awful that was and how embarrassing it was. I was pretty much house bound at the time. Just never knew when my body was gonna betray me!

Big hugs!
Mindy

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I understand your technical problem here Hannah cuz the same thing has happened to me here many times before too. I swear I should just copy my post before I hit the post button here, which I did this time.

Unfortunately accidents most probably happen to just about everybody with UC. The problem is they can happen with J Pouches too. You can always tell yourself "it's not my fault." And that's true, but at the same time too I understand how it feels. It's annoying as hell. No matter what anybody says life really does suck. It's been years since any accidents for me. I'm still weary of them though. Eating the wrong foods with a pouch can be pure hell. When I had UC, the flareups were so uncontrollable I was stuck in the hospital a lot with the rest room right near me, but even then how could I control anything when I was asleep?

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Life does not suck. It's just how you make it. It's all up to the individual. Accept and go on or don't accept things and feel miserable.

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
Arbob I only wish it was as simple as you put it, but it's not. All you're really telling me here is to kill myself which I think about everyday. And your anything but understanding attitude just pushes me closer.

Sorry you feel that way. I've said it before and here it is again...we all have to deal with things that are horrific and make our lives absolutely miserable. But life itself doesn't suck...only if we let it. I'm so sorry for all of the suffering you and all of the others on this site have to contend with daily, but we have to somehow muster up the strength and fortitude to do the very best we can every single day. Everyone, yes everyone has problems and situations that are uncomfortable in some way or other. But we're also given the power to go on. That's what keeps me going.

I've mentioned before about all of the problems my husband has had to overcome....heart problems, throat cancer, etc. etc. and now he has a new health problem to deal with. But guess what? We are dealing with it. Does it get us down? You're darn right it gets us down, but we keep on looking at the bright side and realize that it could be much, much worse. That's the only thing I'm trying to express here..things could be worse. We sometimes don't think so, but we know that yes, it could be worse.

I've told you a million times I had a serious head injury. My life has been nothing but depressing after that. Get that through your head already. If life was as sugar coated as you think it is the whole idea of depression and suicide would never exist now would it?

I got that through my head already.....a long time ago....the first time you brought it up, and every time after that first time that you brought it up. And I'm sorry you had a serious head injury. I'm sorry you have a pouch. I'm sorry you're so miserable. I'm sorry you think my life is sugar coated....you're wrong, so wrong. But I do know it could be worse!

Thanks for telling me I'm "wrong" Arbob. I'll just tell everybody else now suffering from depression after a serious head injury "we're all wrong to be depressed cuz Arbob said so."

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Arbob wasn't saying that you're wrong to be depressed. You have every right to be depressed if you want to be. What she is saying, I think, is that you have the option of choosing not to be, and trying your hardest to brighten up your life. All she is saying is to be thankful for what you have, because there is always someone out there that has it worse than you do.

If you don't mind me asking, since you've brought it up so many times, what kind of head injury is it? Although I know there are various types that do various types of damage, you're still an intelligent person, and you still have motor function or you wouldn't be able to type. Be thankful that your head injury wasn't worse, leaving you handicapped, either physically or mentally. Or worse.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hannah from what I was told about my head injury, it was a subdural hematoma. I was talking to my brother about it last night. He told me my heart even quit beating and they thought at the time was I had little to no chance of survival. About all I can remember just barely is leaving the hospital. Since then my life has been a mess. As I already told you I'm in therapy now. I know things could always be worse, the same could be said for anybody though. My attempts to improve my life have failed me. And I can certainly understand the subject matter of this thread. I'm more than understanding about it. At the same time too, I understand the hell it can truly be at the same time too. Thus I don't take back one word of what I printed here. In cases such as this life sucks.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Thank you Hannah. I appreciate your comments. You understand so much at such a young age. That's why I know you will always be successful and go on to bigger and better things. Love you lots.

Thanks for telling me I'm "wrong" Arbob. I'll just tell everybody else now suffering from depression after a serious head injury "we're all wrong to be depressed cuz Arbob said so."

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with Crohns in August 2010. Its been quite a battle. Tried Remicade for a few months didnt really help. Ive flared about 20 times in the pas...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.