Skip to content
Pregnant with Crohn's
Ty0709 posted:
I am 35 years old and am currently going through a Crohn's flare up. I had 2 miscarriages in the last year and am now 6 weeks pregnant again. I have had to be put on prednisone to help control the Crohn's, but I have heard bad things about it in pregnancy. I also take Humira and did for the previous 2 miscarriages. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about being on prednisone so early in the pregnancy and the effects it can have. I also wonder if anyone has take Humira while pregnant too and if there is any personal experiences with either or both of them. I don't know how I will handle loosing another...

hannahleigh89 responded:
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I unfortunately don't know much about the use of prednisone or Humira during pregnancy. All I know is that Remicade, which is similar to Humira but quite a bit different, is thought to increase the rate of miscarriage slightly when used during pregnancy. Remicade is made using mouse proteins in comparison to Humira which is made with human proteins, but I'm not sure what the other differences are. I did find this while doing a quick Google search though: http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/prednisone.html

Good luck, and I hope someone else has more answers for you.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hi, I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. I'm trying to get pregnant and so I've been reading up as much as I can and this article has a good amount of info... its pretty heavy but i found it worth trudging through.

here is an abstract from nih...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18626967
and this page has the full article
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ibd.20532/abstract

I hope things go well this time. I know the trying stage is difficult, I can't even imagine what it must be like to be in your situation...

hang in there
~Ali

JavaMamma27 responded:
I was undiagnosed during my pregnancies. I have 2 children, but I lost 3. Pregnancy was very hard for me.

I will tell you this. You do get through the losses. My last miscarriage was 6 years ago this month. And as time goes on, I think of them less. I keep a little box in my night stand that has any "memories" of those babies. I know they are close to me. I had two losses before my son, then another after him, then I had my daughter.

I don't know much about these meds and pregnancy. But I did take ALLOT of meds while pregnant, and even had emergency surgery! And then was on morphine after!! I had to take pre-term labor meds every 2 hours for 2 months with both kids. I had to take anti-biotics and prednisone for pneumonia with my son. I took progesterone suppliments with both kids. I took muscle relaxants through both pregnancies for joint pain and inflamation. I took TONS of phenegren b.c I was unable to keep down water. Also Imodium daily to slow down the chronic explosive diarhea (from Crohn's).

I have 2 HEALTHY kids now.

I even nursed my daughter through back surgery, emergency surgery for a staph infection, and 6 weeks of PICC line anti-biotics. Oh, and demeral for pain control.

Take ONE DAY AT A TIME. Pregnancy is VERY VERY hard emotionally after you have lost a baby, and even harder after 2. But even after the baby is born, nothing is certain, nothing is safe, and you are always worried about something happening to your child. That is part of being a mom. The fear NEVER goes away, you just learn to accept it as a part of parenting. Being a mom is emotionally hard, and it starts while pregnant.

You will go on if something happens. It is VERY hard, but you manage. And eventually the awful pain gets less and less.

Also, have you visited the Pregnancy After Loss message board here on WebMD? I spent years over there when I was pregnant, and it was a HUGE support.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Stephanie

Ty0709 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Thank you for the great article and your kind words.
I did get through a full pregnancy with Crohn's. My daughter is now 4 and has always been very healthy. Trying for another one after her has been difficult and my health has declined slightly since her birth.
I have been told that during pregnancy the body produces a natural cortisone from the placenta, which actually helps with any flare during pregnancy.
I have found that some of the medications I have been on may have contributed to the difficulty getting or sustaining a vital pregnancy.
Please don't give up on a baby. Thank you for your support! I'm here if you like to chat

Ty0709 replied to JavaMamma27's response:
Thank you Stephanie.
I know that a miscarriage is one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through. This is my fifth pregnancy, 2 live, healthy births and 2 miscarriages. Having other children, I can't help but think of everything that we didn't get to experience and how much joy we were robbed of because of loosing the babies.
It is reassuring to know that you experienced a health pregnancy with some of the medications I have been taking. When you research these online, the prospects always seem so grim. They don't tell you of the success stories, only the bad effects of the medications. All hope of anything good is diminished by the horror stories and warnings. That in itself can cause enough stress to create problems.
I appreciate you sharing your story with me and thank you for helping to ease my mind a little.

Thanks,

Ty

Spotlight: Member Stories

Have had Crohn's since age 17 and since I am now 58 that's a long time. When I was first diagnoised there were no medications so when things g...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.