Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Abdominal Swelling After Exercise
hannahleigh89 posted:
So my mother has decided that on Tuesdays and Thursdays, she wants to do Zumba after work. I know that she won't stick with it unless I go with her, and she really wants to lose some weight, especially since my brother is getting married next month. So I've decided that I'm going to go with her... And we started this week.

Tuesday wasn't bad, we did a 20 minute little thing and that was it, because my stomach was on fire. It was a good kind of burn though. Thursday, we did the same 20 minute thing and then added a 20 minute ab workout. Bad idea, I'm thinking. Today, my stomach is swollen and I look like I've gained about 20 pounds. I don't know if it's just the extra movement or what, but it can't be a good sign. What do you think?

I've also noticed that on my right side, the muscle that is supposed to be there on the front is MIA. When I lean forward, as if I'm going to do a crunch, the muscle on the left side sticks out but there's nothing on the right side. Also, when I was doing the ab workouts, I didn't feel any burning there. Is this something that will heal over time and work again, or is that muscle gone for good?

miserable_sob responded:
I wonder if you're just feeling the pain from not doing any ab exercises for awhile? That's when you'll notice it the most. Since I've had my J Pouch for over 20 years and have done more ab exercises than I can remember, minor pain is the most I've experienced after performing them. Although your workout could have been more grueling than any of mine

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
I'm not worried about the pain so much as the swelling. I don't think that's a normal part of an ab work out.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
From what I see here http://www.livestrong.com/article/365285-abdominal-swelling-after-exercise/ Maybe you just need to relax or possibly worst case scenario could be a hernia. From what I see here @ jpouch.org http://j-pouch.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9151071921/m/386108972?r=386108972#386108972 I get the feeling that resting your ab muscles might help it.

Thank you very much for the links. Hopefully it's just over use. They went a long time without getting much exercise and I kind of started it all at once.

I hope all that time off is all it is then. It's been awhile since I've experienced any kind of soreness. I believe I've had hernias before but surgery wasn't required to cure them. I do remember going through physical therapy though. That plus ice, heat, and whatever other tricks have been used all these years relieved my soreness. I have had my problems with m J Pouch through all these years, but none of them were related to exercising, which I do lots of. Today using an overhand technique, I did this ab exercise:

The exercise that I've started doing is like, cardio. It's latin dance, basically. I just shake my butt a whole lot for the first 20 minutes, lol. The second 20 minutes we did was an exclusive ab workout, and it wasn't crunches, but it was leg lifts and things like that.

I'm doing it with my mom and three ladies she works with at the bank, all well in their 40s. It's pretty funny.

20 minutes of ab workouts is lots of work in that one area of your body. It helps me understand why your abdomen is so sore now too.

Since I'm not in your boots, I don't know how bad the soreness is? In my cases of exercise injury, I try to put up with it the best I can. There's been many times where the pain slowly vanishes. I have used aids such as heat, ice, stretching, etc. to rid the pain. If that doesn't work though, that's when I think about contacting my doctor.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I do have many other health issues I am dealing with besides my type 2 diabetes and Lilly my permanent ileostomy. I have been diagnosed with the foll...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.