What is Remicade supposed to do?
mattdamonishot posted:
wonder if it actually it is working because I have completely stopped bleeding now. I am still going to the bathroom alot at night and sometimes during the day but the bleeding is gone. Also for the first tiem he lowered my Prednisone from 40 to 30 and I ahven't started bleedign again which I used to do every time he lowered it. is it possible the REMICADE IS WORKING ACTUALLY????

jaimem92 responded:
It could be that the Remicade just needs time to build up in your system. It hinders your Tcells in your body- since Crohns is an autoimmune disease, it basically means that it stops your immune system from attacking your body. See, I don't have a very bad case of Crohn's, so I noticed a difference within a few months for sure.

quinnessa replied to jaimem92's response:
thats good stuff !that remicade. helped me alot.

ACD2525 responded:
Remicade is one of several drugs that inhibits an unusually active auto-immune response which wakes up the gut from an otherwise healthy calm. Based on recent accounts, Crohn's is a disorder that makes the TN-A (tumor necrosis factor - alpha) agent of the blood over-react to blood-borne or or tissue-borne pathogens. (I have characterized the condition as the opposite of HIV-AIDS, whereas the body's defenses under-react to invasion.) In any case, Remicade is designed to suppress your body's response to invasion and resulting inflammation. Of course, this line of treatment, if continued for several months, can leave you vulnerable to infection, especially if you're also taking another immono-suppressant such as Imuran. In my case, I underwent a Remicade infusion and all signs seemed positive for a few months. Then some symptoms of blockage appeared, which led docs to assume Remicade worked too well, whereby it shrank inflamed tissue so fast that it created scar tissue (which eventually needed to be surgically removed in my case..... not typical though...)

Would be helpful to Google Remicade & all its chemical derivitives before talking to your GI & looking at X-rays. (.....Special considerations for women with pregnancy concerns......)

jaimem92 replied to ACD2525's response:
Good explanation.. I know it's helped me a lot- but I'm constantly struggling to stay healthy... I still have my dumb cough that I've had since my husband was sick.. Well today i woke up and it was much worse- so I dragged myself down to the clinic, and they think I have a bacterial issue that's settled into my chest, I get to be on an inhaler and levaquin. So that's fun. I don't feel too bad though- minus the headache from coughing so much today.

friskie12 responded:
Remicade worked great for me I've been on it for 4 years now. A side effect from it is infections. I have had severe sinus infections for the last 6 months, since Dec 4, 2010 I had to go back on Doxycillian for my sinus infections 4 times! I stopped taking the remicade 8 weeks ago to see if my infections would improve and they did. I don't have any sinus infection since I stoppe the remicade. I have had Crohn's for 30 years and have gone through 9 surgeries and the Remicade is the only thing that has kept me is remission, but now I don't want to go back on it because I get the sinus infections. Yes Remicade does work, so if it works for you that's great, just remember every medicine has a side effect.

karen

bsw925 replied to ACD2525's response:
My husband has Peripheral Neuropathy (also a auto immune disease) and was on Remicade for some time. He was getting more relief than he had for years on other medications. However, we are on Medicare!! Our co-pay had been $15 until two years ago. It then jumped up to $600 dollars. We already live in a small, old trailer. To afford this, we'd have to litteraly live in our car. Since he also has diabetes and failing kidneys and I have heart problems and severe back problems, living out of our car isn't much of an option either. We've checked with other insurance companies for senior citizens and they all have about the same co-pay for Remicade. It's really too bad. That was the most relief he had had and now we can't afford a wonderful medication that was helpful. Good luck to all of you.

hannahleigh89 replied to bsw925's response:
Have you checked with the state? I know there are a lot of supplemental programs through the state that will pay your copays.

paigeATL replied to bsw925's response:
Call Remistart......888-222-3771
Ask about the Remicade Rebate Program. VERY HELFUL!

lasportsfan44 responded:
Hey matt,

So i was daignosed when i was 11. From 11-13 i was on alllllll sorts of medication. Asecol (sorry if that isnt spelt right), 6mp, prednisone all sorts of stuff. They helped a little but what actually put me into remission was the remicade. It took a couple of treatments so about a couple of months for me to see dramatic improvements. But with the remicade comes the suppressed immune system, and i get sick really easily from others. But i am 19 almost 20 now and i was able to play high school sports because of the remicade and able to practically funstion normally. But what also really helps is just being really aware of my diet. I have to really really pay attention to what im eating. That is what makes a big diffrence for me because if i eat really healthy and stay away from what i know will give me major stomach aches such as rye bread, popcorn, really any sweats and salads then i seem to have less frequent pain, but it seems to always come. Thats just part of dealing with this disease hahahha Hopefully you have gotten a lot better in the last year!