Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CT ENTERGRAPHY
grammanor posted:
HAS ANYONE GONE FOR THIS TEST? DR. SAYS IT EVALUATES THE SMALL BOWL. HE CAN CHECK THE WALLS OF THE SMALL BOWEL. HAVE TO DRINK VOLUMEN(NO IDEA WHAT IT TASTES LIKE) & I'LL PROBABLY THROW UP. ALSO HAVE TO HAVE AN IV (CONTRAST) i will tell you all what he out come is after saturday. I hate tests!

Jayl955 responded:
I had that test done a few weeks ago. Its a simple test that takes 1-2 hours and most of the wait is for you to drink the contrast which comes in flavors. usually orange or fruit punch. The actual contrast is only 30mls which they dump into the liter of the fruit drink. I had to drink the 36oz over an hour time period then they put you in the ct machine and inject the iv die. The iv dye can make you feel all warm and like you peed yourself. sometimes selling cherios. Its not a bad test as far as gi tests go that has contrast involved. I wish you luck and fun....

jaimem92 replied to Jayl955's response:
I'm an xray tech and this is a very routine test. Extremely easy. The drink is the worst part- but it's still not so bad. I've had the test done myself. Depending on the place you have the test done they will either have you drink barium, or gastrografin(or whichever brand they use). The barium comes in all sorts of different flavors(banana, orange, berry, cherry) and the gastrografin is kind of like flat sprite. We use the gastrografin here, just because if there might be a tear in your bowel- it won't hurt you any. I think when I had my CT done, I had the gastrografin, which I tolerated really well(and I had been throwing up for 15 hours). The IV isn't bad either. The actual test takes about 10 minutes at the most. But like the person above, the process takes about an hour- drinking the fluids.. Which the reason for the fluids is to highlight your bowel, the IV fluid highlights arteries, kidneys, anything like that.

jaimem92 replied to jaimem92's response:
I guess we call it something slightly different- but from what you're describing- it's the test I'm thinking of.

swvagirl responded:
I just had one of these done at the end of March. They called and said it was normal, but then they called last week and said that i had "significant changes". My appt isn't until the end of this month so I guess we will see then. The prep was the worst of it and I have a really bad gag reflex but it didn't make me sick. Good Luck!

Sarah

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was first diagnosed with UC in 2008 and took Asacol and Canasa for about a year before taking some advice from a friend and trying a strict gluten f...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.