Skip to content
Any Tips on Making Cimzia Injections Less Painful?
YonsChrons posted:
Hey. I've been injecting myself with Cimzia for about a year now, after having an anaphylactic reaction to Remicade. I HATE giving myself shots - I was totally cool with getting the infusions. Anyone else having a similar experience? I'd love advice/tips on how to make the shot situation less miserable. Also, I only inject into my stomach because it hurts too badly in my legs... If I was feeling great, I'd probably feel better about it, but I'm not. I've responded well to methotrexate, but I'm trying to go off of it so having kids can be an option. Basically, I'd love some practical support. Thanks!

carolhew responded:
I use to give myself Byetta injections for Diabetes. I always made sure the alcohol from the swab was completely dry before injecting, it helped with the stinging. Hope this is helpful!

Carol

hannahleigh89 responded:
I hated the Cimzia injections. I only had to do them for a few months, but I didn't have a good response to them either. They didn't seem to do a thing for me. I also only did them in my stomach because I tried in my thigh once, and it bruised up real bad, bled like crazy, and hurt like hell.

I do Humira and methotrexate now and I seem to be doing pretty well with it, but if you're trying to have kids, that doesn't help you much.

YonsChrons replied to hannahleigh89's response:
My doctor just switched me to Humira (and I'm still on the methotrexate for now). And oh my gosh - if I thought Cimzia hurt, Humira's so much worse! But at least the burning comes when the shot is done, so I can give it to myself. But only in my stomach; I can't handle it in my legs. I seem to be responding to it, my labs have gotten better and my flare up is settling down. Thanks for your support!

kaj2313 replied to YonsChrons's response:
Lots of ice before and after only thing that seemed to help me.

miserable_sob replied to kaj2313's response:
I like Kaj2313's idea of numbing yourself with ice. That sounds perfectly harmless. I would have gave that a try too back in my injection days.

Neo6574 responded:
I have taken almost everything. The things that made a big difference in my life were remicade, and humira. Cimzia hurt the most though and I didn't really even give it a chance it was so painful. Humira and cimzia both reduced me to almost every time I had them injected. Try icing for about 15-20 minutes, and the whole time have emeral, which is a numbing cream, sitting on it. But not for to long or it might actually freeze on your leg. I also had an allergic reaction to remicade, but two years later, the doctors did some tests and I guess the antibodies I had went away, so now I'm back on it, doing well. I just take Benadryl and prednisone before each one and they inject it slowly. But they might make it go faster. I've been on methotrexate but they took me off, but I might be getting back on it soon as a kind of second support drug.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story... Hi I am Megan. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in April 2007, after 10+ years of trying to find out what was wrong with me, when my mo...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.