Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Specific Carbohydrate Diet
ashlilybean posted:
Hi there,

Has anyone ever tried the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD)? It is the subject of a book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", that I've been reading lately, and I'm giving it a try. Just wondering if anyone has had any success/problems that they would like to share?

Thanks so much!

Leah

jaimem92 responded:
I've never heard of it. But I might just have to research it a little bit.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready responded:
My cousin followed the scd religiously for her UC for several years and felt like it helped for a while but she did get to the point to where she had to get a j-pouch. I've never tried it bc I'm pretty certain I couldn't handle all the fiber, but she seemed please with it for a while.

~ali

Miserable_SOB replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I believe that there's just so many different variables when it comes to living with UC, that almost any diet including SCD is worth a try. Especially if that means avoiding the dreaded pouch.

ashlilybean responded:
Thanks for the responses! I did try the SCD for 9 days, but it didn't really work for me. I didn't ever get off the "Intro diet" of eggs, cheese, applesauce, chicken, etc, which wasn't very balanced! But it was worth a try. Thanks again!

crohn_girl replied to ashlilybean's response:
I just started it early this week and so far so great. In the hospital now with a bag and will continue the diet throughout my hospital stay and when I get home. ~Hannah

crabby_crohns replied to crohn_girl's response:
I have also done the low residue diet after the hospital stay and before. It seems to help a bit after the flare calms down.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi to everyone! My name is Donna and I just turned 61. I have very severe Crohn's, and nothing will give me relief. I have taken every medicine, t...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.