When the dr called back tonight to confirm there wasn't a heartbeat or any signs of the baby he said my dr (dr I talked to this weekend was the on call dr) would be calling right away to get me in for a D&C on Monday. As many of you have probably gathered, I don't like to jump (or stroll) into ANYTHING and I'm kinda freaking out about what issues being on remicade or just having crohns might throw into the mix. I guess my first thought is, since my ileum seems to be scarred, does that make it more likely to get scarring from the D&C? then, I think I've read that people have to go off remicade before surgery, am I making this up? do I have to worry about infection more?
Ug, thanks for letting me talk this out, just trying to wrap my head around all this before he calls since I don't tend to think quickly enough when I'm talking to the dr...
if anyone has any thoughts or questions I should ask that'd be helpful, if not (I know its not a common situation - or I hope not...) thanks for listening, no one really knew I was pregnant - bonus for not having to tell everyone, but now anyone I want to tell has to hear bad news. Plus I have NO idea who will drive me to the dr for this since my husband is out of town for work all week... At least I found out before he left... would have been an extra crappy day if I was alone
I am sooooo sorry for your loss:( What a devastating thing to go through:( You will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are right about being off of the Remicade for a while before surgery (usually 4-6 weeks), but if the benefits outweigh the risks, they will go ahead and do it. I'm sure that there are other precautions that they will use....like, extra antibiotics and such. I think postponing the D & C for that long would be a greater risk at this point. (But that is just my thought, I have never had to go through it so I don't know all that is involved.) Wish I had some concrete answers for you; you must be so scared. I will continue to pray for you and know that I will be thinking of you and your family.
I'm absolutely heartbroken for you. I don't know anything about the D&C procedures, but I agree with Mindy. Waiting long enough for the Remicade to be out of you system could be dangerous for your body, as well as extremely hard on you emotionally.
There will be an increased risk of infection, but if your doctors are aware that you're on Remicade, they should be ready to deal with that. I'd advise to go ahead with the procedure and just keep an eye out for fevers, changes in urination, headaches... Anything that could indicate an infection.
Again, I am so sorry for you. I was really hoping it would work out, and I'm just... So sorry.
thanks so much guys. Somehow in the back of my mind it was always a possibility since I've watched friends go through it and knew the 20% statistic. All the same, its sad and I'm sure I'll keep crying over it for quite a while. I was just really looking forward to hitting that 13th week milestone so I didn't have to worry so much...
I'm hoping the dr will call tonight so I can figure out what to tell my boss about my plans for next week. When ever he does call, I'm going to try to find out if the rush is for the emotional aspect or medical and I'll remind him I just got remicade 18 days ago. It sounds like there is a medicine that they can give you too, I'd def want hubby there for that one, but if it could wait for next week that might be less risk.
I know my friend's dr had her wait it out and it was months, I'm certainly glad he's not suggesting that.
thanks again for all the love guys, its really nice to have you all here
I am so sorry, and can't begin to imagine what you are going through. I know you and I both talked about how we were trying and I was so excited for you.
As far as the D&C goes, my mother had to have one a few years ago and it was outpatient. I would think that because you just recently had a remicade treatment they would take that into account and put you on strong antibiotics to prevent infection, as well as give you specific instructions as to signs of infection so you can catch it early to prevent any complications.
Again, I am so sorry for your loss and hope that you don't let this deter you from trying again.
thanks everyone. No one called me from the dr office so I called at 11 and felt totally blown off - she said the dr was off today but if he called in she'd let him know. I was so upset, my temp was 99.3, which isn't bad but is high for me (saturday at the hospital it was 96.8 thought I'm usually low to mid 97) and was about to call the office of the dr from the weekend when she called me back and said he'd scheduled me for tomorrow morning. I told her my concerns with the remicade and infection and Mindy's take on it was right, she said there was a bigger risk of infection to not do it. I reminded her about the remicade and the low fever and she didn't think it was a big deal but called the dr back and he has me taking doxycycline hyclate. it seems like strong stuff, I'll make sure to load up on probiotics once i'm done next week
Sorry- I wanted to write more but I was a little drugged up when I wrote that earlier. I'm really sorry to hear that you're going through this, it sucks enough to have to go through what we do- then to only want a somewhat normalcy in life and then to have it taken away is really hard. I will be thinking and praying for you
I'm back and feel good - although that might be bc I'm still high on the propofol...
I do have to say - one tiny silver-like lining - a lot of people online talked about being freaked out about the general anesthesia, but thanks to all the scopings from Crohn's at least I had no worries about that
they did push an advil like drug to help with pain, guess I wish I would have known to ask them to just use tylenol to be sure it didn't make the symptoms worse that I've been having but the concern is probably minimal compared to the antibiotics anyway
I'm not suppose to drive till tomorrow afternoon, I guess if I'm still feeling ok I'll try to go back to work in the afternoon (I can work at home if not).
one other tiny advantage of everyone knowing I have crohn's: its a good cover. I'll just tell everyone that I was "feeling really crappy" - no one asks questions when they think there's diarrhea involved
it does really suck that I have to throw in all the crohn's concerns into the pregnancy concerns and now the grief and the medical decisions. I guess I'm just hoping that I'll be like my friend who had a missed mc w her first pregnancy but has gone on to have 3 boys since.
Im so sorry for your loss. Im glad the procedure went as well as it could. I hada m/c with my firstpg and have 2 gorgeous boys now... As horrible as it is, you will get through it. we are here if you need to talk or vent. babycenter.com has a m/c board as well and that helped me immensely. My oldest is 7 and I still talk to the girls I met on that board. hugs and prayers
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.