Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IBS, Slow Digestion, Frequent Urges
Disorders posted:
First of all I haven't been to a doctor at all for these symptoms. I have been relying totally on myself to find answers to this IBS disorder. I have read it may be Crohns & Colitis so I am starting to reseach this.

From what I have read from others there is no cure and not really much help for Crohns & Colitis and it manly affects women but I've talked to alot of men with the IBS problem and I am a man.

I developed IBS symptoms about a year ago and the urges to go started to take longer and longer to go away over about 6 months until the urges would not go away and I had to stay near a toilet. One day I was bouncing around town and had a small urge but not bad. I went into walmart thinking I could hold it and I did until I finished my checkout then had to drop my groceries and dart to the restroom. A big explosion happened with a pile of diarrea . After this episode the urge going away stopped and I had to stay near a toilet.

This condition is "Terrible". It's not really having to take an emergency dump, it's the constant urge to go not knowing if anything is going to come out. I've run to the toilet alot and nothing comes out but some slim. I found out just some slime or a pinhead size chunk will keep the urge to go constant. The diarrea is a big problem but the constant urge to go 24/7 puts my world on constant hold.

I did find something that helps get rid of the urge and diarria. It's called "Digestive Advantage Irritable Bowel Syndrome" pills. The pills are a bacteria that's taken everyday. These pills work. Doesn't relieve the symptoms 100% but they mellow the urge out about 85% to 90% after several months of taking them. The Pro Biotic pills don't work that well but this stuff does.

Symptoms:

* Constant urge to have a bowel movement

* When I eat even if I have already evacuated myself the food I've just eaten fires up the urge to go.

* Diarrea and constapation

* Acid reflux

In the past few months I have developed a condition where I eat just a little and I'm full for hours. I'm working on this one now and this is what brought me here. I've read alot of posts on this already and it's the same ordeal. The doctors haven't got a clue let alone a cure. I eat once aday around 4 O'clock and I'm not hungry and my bellies full for absolutely hours.

We all need help so, lets see if we can help each other.

Thanks!

hannahleigh89 responded:
To be honest, I really don't think you should be here until you've considered seeing a doctor for your symptoms. I don't believe that IBS is something that you should self-diagnose and try to treat on your own, much less Crohn's or Colitis.

Yes, diarrhea, constipation, and acid reflux are all signs of a bowel disorder. Yes, you should probably see a doctor for them. But you also need to keep in mind that it could be a variety of other disorders, such as a bacterial infection in your intestines or ulcers or gallbladder problems or a lot of things that can be cured with medication or minor surgery.

Eating one small meal isn't really a big deal, it's just something that you've trained your body to do now. If you go long periods of time without putting much in your stomach, it shrinks, and it takes much less food to feel full. Also, if you're constipated, your hunger may not be triggered because your body knows it's full of poo.

Anyway, I think you should spend less time on WebMD and other various websites trying to self-diagnose disorders that you have little idea on and more time at the doctor trying to figure out if it's a disease or if it's really just diarrhea.

Also, on your comment about there not being much help for Crohn's and Colitis. This is not true at all. Most people find treatments that work for them and go on to lead completely normal lives. The cases you read about on here are often severe cases and should not be what you base everything on. The people who are in remission don't need help as badly and aren't going to go looking for it on a message board.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Once again Hannah, you are absolutely, 100% correct in your response.

Self-diagnosis can be a very serious step backwards in any condition. In other words, the longer you have these symptoms, the more severe the condition can become. And a lot of these "meds" are just band-aids. Some help, some don't, but unless someone is correctly diagnosed by a trained and well educated medical professional, it's a hit and/or miss situation. Granted, because there are so many meds out there for these conditions, that can be a hit and/or miss thing too. But at least a Dr. has been added to the mix to make a diagnosis. This is so important. And because there are so many over the counter meds out there that don't solve the problem, again, the band-aid thing.

Disorders, please get a Dr. to assist you in the correct diagnosis of your condition, as well as a "plan of attack" to overcome your problem. This is definitely the correct route to take now.

Keep us posted, OK? We do care here.

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
I'd personally like to help you diagnose the problem. I don't hold it against you for not seeing a doctor. I'm actually impressed that you held out this long. I believe I saw my doctor the first week when my Ulcerative Colitis attacked me. Although that was back in the 80's and the internet wasn't really around back then. Since you did not mention any blood in your stool, I'm doubtful that you have Ulcerative Colitis now. You might be able to rule Crohn's out too, since it's very similar to Ulcerative Colitis.

Now I'm wondering have you tried altering your diet any? I know you can find all kinds of diets for Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis. I remember the first food my gastroenologist put me on was Ensure. As far as I'm concerned it was a failure. My condition just kept getting worse. I also remember how he cut sugar out of my diet too. I noticed this site alone along with many others has diet plans for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns. But if you believe you're suffering from another IBS symptom, you can find diets for them too.

Magsjeanea responded:
It is ashame that you wouldn't give the medical profession a try. If it weren't for my doctors I would not be in remission right now from Crohn's. You are really taking your life in your own hands and by the time you will really need a doctor you may not be able to be helped because you are too ill.
As far as Miserable is concerned, doctors have kept MOB alive both physically and mentally. Just because MOB still has problems doesn't mean that there is no help. MOB will tell you how long of hospital stays there were with severe dehydration to the point of almost dying.
I hope you will take all of your internet information and find a qualified Gastroenterologist and see if they can help you go into remission.
I thank God everyday for my doctors and how they have helped me.
Hope you find the answers you are seeking.
Take good care,
Love Goes There, Jeaneau

mindyj1971 responded:
Please get to a doctor. They isn't a cure for Diabetes either, but you wouldn't go without insulin under a doctors orders, would you? This can be a fatal disease if you don't get proper care....by the time I was diagnosed, I was severely dehydrated and already had a blockage. For 2 1/2 years I struggled with meds and had 5 different surgeries. I now have a permanent ileostomy....but make no mistake....I would be dead without it. Please, please, please get to a health care professional. At least to have some blood work done and possibly a CT scan. You really need to know what you are dealing with. I commend you for compiling all the information, but until you know what your diagnosis is, that information is not going to be of much help.
I am finally in remission and living a wonderful, busy life again. It takes time, but the longer you go untreated, the worse it will be.
Please take care and keep us informed.
Mindy

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to mindyj1971's response:
Hey guys, great responses. I kinda suspect this is an ad based on the 5th paragraph but either way- excellent points

miserable_sob replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Good point Poodles, this is one of the most deceptive cases of spam I've ever seen. Looking at the poster's history all this poster has posted here is this one thread and hasn't returned since. That's all the more reason to suspect spam

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I was diagnosed in January 2011 with Ulcerative Colitis. I am currently on my third round of prednisone but my first round with intense Asacol ...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.