Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are Crohns Disease and Diverticular Disease related?
Ranna72560 posted:
Hi all. I am having horrible abdominal problems, and it is really frustrating. I have had problems with nausea and diarrhea for about 10 years. About 8 years ago a doctor decided that I was allergic to pork because she really didn't know what was wrong with me. I knew that I wasn't allergic to pork so I just learned to deal with the problems because I could not get any good answers.

In April of this year I had severe pain in my left side. I actually thought that I might have a blood clot in my lung or something because I know that most major organs like the gall bladder, etc.. are on the right side. I went to the doctor and he thought that I was probably passing a kidney stone. He prescribed pain meds and sent me for a CT Scan. The Dr called me within a few hours because he was very concerned with my CT Scan. He said that I had Acute Diverticulitis. He called me in some Flagyl, Levaquin, and Mepredine for pain. This was on Thursday. My husband took me to the hospital on Saturday because I couldn't hold anything down. I was severely dehydrated. I ended up having to stay in the hospital for 7 days because the infection was so bad.

Since then, which was a little over 4 months ago, I have had horrible problems. I am either constipated or I have diarrhea. I am nauseous every time I eat. I have lost 15lbs in the last 4 months. I have had acute diverticulitis 2 more times since the original time in April.

My doctor referred me to a surgeon. As it turns out, I have Diverticular Disease in a strange area. Most people get it in the lower left portion of the colon and mine is in the upper left portion of the colon. The surgeon wanted to do more tests before operating because he said that he would have to take out a large portion of my colon.

He scheduled a colonoscopy. During the colonoscopy he found multiple ulcerations on my ileum which he said is a sign of Crohns Disease. He said that my ileum is inflamed and infected. The suggested diet for Crohns Disease and Diverticular Disease are different so I don't even know what I am supposed to eat anymore. It really doesn't matter because everything I eat makes me sick.

This is all very frustrating. I am 36 years old, and I am so tired of being sick. Does anyone else have Crohns Disease along with Diverticular Disease? My next step in seeing a Gastrointestinal Doctor which my family doctor is going to schedule when I see him on Monday.

My husband left his job on April 15th, and I ended up in the hospital on April 16th. We are now having to carry Cobra insurance because new insurance companies consider my condition as a pre-existing condition and it is not covered under the policy. We are currently paying almost $1400 every month for insurance, but compared to the cost of the multiple tests and hospital stays it is still cheaper to continue paying this excessive price for insurance.

Any help or feedback will be much appreciated. I actually feel a little better just typing all this stuff because I know that people on here will actually understand how I feel. My husband and family are very supportive, but unless you have been through this you can not possibly relate. I feel guilty a lot of times because I am sick so much. I know that my kids are tired of hearing me say "I'm sorry we can't do that today. I just don't feel like it." I think the mental strain is almost as bad as the physical strain. It feels like being sick defines my entire life. I have to plan everything around being sick. Having diarrhea in a public restroom is super embarrassing.

sheba_q responded:
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but what you're feeling is completely normal. It's like the life you "should" be having has dropped out from under you and you're having a hard time dealing it. That's to be expected.

Crohn's is autoimmune in nature, so it's not uncommon to have more than one thing going on. I know - not what you wanted to hear.

The diets are not that far apart, so it's possible to do it. For diverticulitis "People may be placed on a low residue diet. This low-fiber diet gives the colon adequate time to heal without needing to be overworked. Later, patients are placed on a high-fiber diet." The IBD starter diet I've posted on here before is:

* eat smaller meals at more frequent intervals
* avoid eating many processed foods
* avoid citrus fruit and anything highly acidic
* reduce the amount of rich, greasy and fried foods
* limit consumption of milk and milk products
* restrict your intake of high-fiber foods
* avoid whole corn (inc popcorn)
* cut back on sugary foods
* avoid alcohol (esp beer)

That should give you something to work from. I know diverticulitis says high fiber later, but right now think about right now. You need to get your insides to calm down before you can look towards what you need to do next.

You didn't list anything - are you taking any meds, supplements, vitamins, etc?

Ranna72560 replied to sheba_q's response:
I am not taking any meds on a daily basis besides vitamin b12. I take pain meds as needed and I take promethazine for the nausea. The surgeon that did the colonoscopy said that I had inflammation and he wanted to prescribe me Flagyl. I told him that I have a hard time holding Flagyl down so he didn't prescribe me anything???

My family doctor called me yesterday and said that I needed to get an appointment no later than Monday because he is very concerned with the colonoscopy results.

I will update as soon as I learn more.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have had crohns since 1998 going to restroom all the time or, having "accidents" all the time really sucks . my daughter has an auto immun...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.