Skip to content
What is a Flare up Like for You??
jaimem92 posted:
So I thought this might be an interesting topic. I'm not sure how most people are, but maybe we could talk about what a flare up is like for us, how long it usually lasts, and what we do about it....

So my flare ups- I had my last one on Wednesday, It started out with really bad abdominal cramping and then the diarrhea came. I was sick for quite a few hours. Then I took a pain pill and still had lots of cramping - Laying on my left side helps with that a lot for some reason.. I usually am pretty fatigued for a few days, I don't tend to want to eat anything. And then I get constipated for about a week. I did finally go today and didn't even have to take any Miralax or anything. My dr usually gives me a shot of Solumedrol and starts me on a Medrol Dose pack when I have a flare up.

LunaNatasha responded:
my flare ups are pretty frequent, so I don't know if I should call them flare ups, as most days I am having issues. I get abdominal cramping and constipation. I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but all that comes out is mucous and blood...which is annoying and quite painful. As a teacher, I have missed a significant amount of work over the past year, since I can't be running out of a classroom constantly and leaving the kids to their own devices. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm considering giving up eating all together.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready responded:
hey, good question, I've thought about posting this same thing several times. For me, its usually in response to being told to not get pregnant while flaring and thinking "what exactly is a flare?".

I have 2 sudden symptoms but they usually resolve in a day so I wouldn't say they're a flare unless they start happening frequently.

The first kind is the cramping, and the diarrhea. I actually left work Wednesday from that. I'd gone out for lunch, was wondering around the grocery store when the cramping started. I spent an hour or so in the bathroom (which I'm sure my coworkers loved since its a single use...) I shake and sweat and get light headed. its horrible. I went home (spent the last 5 min of the drive wishing I had depends..) and spent another hour or so in the bathroom then slept the rest of the day. The next day I felt good, better than I had for a while, now I'm kinda back to my normal. I've had this happening periodically since I was a teenager, so I have no idea if its even crohn's....

The second sudden symptoms I get are a stabbing/cramping feeling. I eat little or nothing when this happens which helps. I asked my GI last time and he says his best guess would be a spasm. Sometimes its horrible and I can't do anything but lay down and wince through the pain. It comes and goes - stabbing for a min or so then nothing for a few min - then stabbing again. These have always resolved after 6 to 18 hours - w more pain, it lasts longer... I'm usually just trying to survive but I paid attention last time and I didn't need to pee durring the time I had the pain, though I was able to go a little

Other than that, my symptoms seem to onset really slowly. Last time it got bad, I noticed reflux over the summer, by fall the mass in my ileum was pretty constantly there, by fall it was starting to get tender, by winter it was getting uncomfortable to exercise and was waking me up at night, later winter I had to stop wearing a belt bc my belly was so tender, and by early spring I couldn't sit up or walk much without sharp pain. At that point I had a colonoscopy, and he couldn't intubate the ileum bc it was so swollen and my CRP was 30.2 and my sed was 22. Obviously I should have gone in sooner, but at what stage I have no idea. I'm glad they take blood every other remicade (so every 16 weeks), I guess my plan is to just rely on #s.

wow, sorry for the big long post. Hope you start feeling better

LunaNatasha replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I have yet to hit remission, so I feel like my life is one big flare up. I am so sick of it....I am giving up on eating. If I die, then at least I won't have to suffer with this anymore.

Miserable_SOB replied to LunaNatasha's response:
Poodle's as bad as it may be, you might want to just stick with it. Since you're not being hospitalized for your flare up now or so I assume, at least your flare ups are manageable than my cases were many years ago. That's when I would up with intravenous feeding since no foods, solid or liquid worked for me at the time. I still wish I only had my diseased colon now so I could give all alternatives I've found on the internet a shot.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to Miserable_SOB's response:
I'm certainly not complaining - I'm just in the "hmm, that's new" stage, which I only care about bc my obgyn stresses constantly to not get pregnant when I'm flaring, which leads to the question: what exactly does that mean. Fortunately I'm still at the lowest remicade dose so even if my #s do start to creep up, I still have more I can do.

Miserable_SOB replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
I'm sorry Poodle's I printed your name there by mistake, I mixed it up with Luna's. I believe you're doing well then Poodles if there's no flareups for the time being. Since you did bring up your obyn's response though, I agree with this person. In my case when I had Ulcerative Colitis, I considered my flareups to be those times when my Ulcerative Colitis became so bad I was hospitalized for it. This happened to me more times than I can remember too. The most memorable experience though is when I was hospitalized and everything I ate and drank was rejected almost instantly by my body at the time. I wound up weighing somewhere in the low 80's and the only way to nourish me was through an intravenous at the time. My guess is I would have just dropped dead if they couldn't find any other ways to nourish me at the time. That stay in the hospital defeated my flareup for the time being. I can't remember what it was exactly that lead to my decision to get a J Pouch. It was basically feeling though that all my alternatives at the time failed me and I didn't have any alternatives left.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Crohn's on June 16, 2010 after a year of mis-diagnosis (gall bladder surgery) and no diagnosis. I guess I'm fortunate to ...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.