Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Acid Reflux??
twentysomething14 posted:
Hello, first of all - Im so thankful that there is a community for Colitis and Crohns. It's encouraging to have others to talk to who have gone through the same things I have. I've had Ulcerative Colitis for 4 years and have gone through a lot of different treatments and medications. So Im thankful for this board.

I do have a question though. Lately, I've been experiencing some acid reflux. Can that be a side of effect of Colitis? Maybe before a flare-up? Or is it something completely separate from Colitis? I haven't experienced acid reflux before, but there are side effects I've developed a while AFTER being diagnosised with Colitis. Any information would be great! Thank you!

HannahLeigh89 responded:
It can be related to the Colitis but they are usually separate conditions. I have acid reflux and Crohn's Disease. I take Aciphex to treat my reflux, after trying all kinds of other stuff. Just see your doctor and tell them your problems and they should be able to give you something to help with it. If you aren't wanting another medication, there are also things you can do, like not laying down until at least an hour after eating, stuff like that, to help with symptoms.

arbob5 responded:
I think some of the meds for Colitis and/or Crohns can cause acid reflux. I didn't have that problem but I do know someone who never had reflux until dx with Colitis and was put on Asacol, I believe. Her Dr. worked with her until he found something more compatible with her system. I'm not sure what she's on now, but her reflux seems much better. Hmmmm, just another mystery about these diseases...as if there aren't enough suspicious things with UC and Crohns, right?

twentysomething14 responded:
Thank you ladies for your help! I will check with my doctor, because like it was mentioned I never had acid reflux until I had Colitis. Weird.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with crohn's/colitis in 2005 and have been on every medication known to man! Most medication seem to work initially for a very sho...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.