Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
(theoretical) biopsy after remicade?
OyWithThePoodlesAlready posted:
Hey guys, I go for remicade this week and I always schedule for next time to be sure to get the early time slot. I kinda have an interesting scheduling dilemma for next time. Part of the issue (really, the planets have aligned this time as far as complications) is that my 6 month mammogram is that month. So far I haven't had to have a biopsy, but last time I was able to schedule it before remicade, thinking they might make me wait for a biopsy if I'd just gotten remicade (and I expect that waiting would be extremely nerve racking).

So... my question is, has any one been told one way or another if there would be concern about a biopsy right after an infusion? I'm going to guess yes bc even my dentist doesn't want to see me right after one but thought maybe someone had experience with it

thanks all
~Ali

jaimem92 responded:
Hey Ali,
I'm actually a mammo tech.. Usually we don't typically do biopsies the same day as the mammogram. Maybe it's different where you're at, but they like to do the mammogram then if it's abnormal do ultrasound and then a biopsy.. Sounds like you've had other issues before too, so maybe they treat your case differently. The doctors taking care of your mammogram might not know about the issues with Remicade, and I don't think I'd want to have a biopsy after my Remicade.. I don't think it'd be very fun to have an infection in your breast. At least the good thing is, if you're having your mammogram every 6 months that means they're just making sure that nothing is changing and that they haven't seen anything that they are super concerned about(there might just be a little mass that they want to make sure isn't getting bigger- could be caused from fibrocystic breasts too)... at least usually anyway.

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to jaimem92's response:
oh, good to know, I knew you were a tech but didn't know you did mammo. Yeah, birads 3, so its probably nothing. I don't expect to need a biopsy, I'm just trying to plan ahead so I don't end up having to wait if it were to happen.

I've only had the 3 mammos, the first was screening and they sent me home right away, the 2nd and 3rd were dx and they take the film, then you wait for it to be read, then I get a US and wait for the Dr to read that (its quite an afternoon). From what I understand, the norm around here is if the dr decided I needed a biopsy, they would schedule it before I leave, so I think my plan is to schedule remicade for the Tuesday (I have my huge monthly meeting that Wednesday) and get the mammo the Monday before, hoping my period isn't late, bc holy crap, getting a mammo w PMS is one of the most painful things I've ever done.

thanks for the info. Would you be up for more questions on email? its ok if you're not up for it, but if so, my (sharing) is oywiththepoodlesalready.eh -at- gmail -dot- com

thanks again

jaimem92 replied to OyWithThePoodlesAlready's response:
Hey yep, I work in a small hospital so I do mammos, CTs normal diagnostic xray and a thing called DEXA scans. I also help the nurses in the ER(because I work for the ambulance too I get to rush down if we ever have a cardiac arrest or a broken leg that we have to splint) and the CNAs on the floor.. lol. We all try and help each other out. I emailed you, so hopefully I got the address right if not mine is lyon.jaime4@gmail.com..

OyWithThePoodlesAlready responded:
In case someone reads this later I thought I'd add that I saw a new (IBD specific) GI yesterday who said he wouldn't worry about getting a biopsy if that's what happens

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on 5/17/07. I suffered for years with rectal bleeding and because of my chronic constipation no one suspected ...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.