Skip to content
general surgeon for small intestine blockage?
OyWithThePoodlesAlready posted:
Hey guys, a question for you. The gp dr that follows me in the hospital just came by and said she's sending a general surgeon by tomorrow to discuss my blockage. I asked her if I shouldn't see a more specialized surgeon and she said no bc its in my small bowel. This doesn't seem right to me but what do I know? I'm in a very large metro area so its not an issue of access. Does anyone have experience w small bowel surgery and if so, what type of surgeon did you see?

thanks for all the help
Magsjeanea responded:
Ali, I worked surgery for a long time and we always had GS do small bowel resections. You can always request a gastro surgeon if you feel more comfortable. When you talk to this doc make him explain exactly what he intends to do to you. If you don't feel comfortable then request a new doc. Hope you feel better and that all goes well.
Take good care,
Love Goes There,

OyWithThePoodlesAlready replied to Magsjeanea's response:
thanks, I got to talk to the GI on call from my drs office this afternoon and he said the same thing. He really encouraged me that they want to wait till its necessary bc the crohn's will just come back, but the general surgeon is the right one if it goes there.

thanks, its great to get confirmation. I do so much better when I know what to expect thanks to everyone who shared here, I wasn't surprised by the NG tube (except that I was half asleep from the dilaudid and didn't quite get it initially) or the npo. I just had my 2nd cat scan and am on 60 mg of Solu-Medrol every 8 hrs, so fingers crossed I won't need a surgeon at all

I guess I'll just chill out and watch more netflix. The hospital room is really nice here, like a hotel, except with tubes everywhere

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 24 years old...and i have had crohn's disease for about 12 years....i have realized that the older that i get the more that disease is takin...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.