Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic Colitis - Constipation
SayaG posted:
I was recently diagnosed with Chronic Colitis - but I have constipation - never have had diarrhea. I've always had bowel problems - well not really problems in that it was 'normal' for me. Sadly, I had no idea where my 'normal' bowel 'problem' would lead.

I also have blood in my stool - my doctor said the blood was from my colitis - so I asked him how would I know that the blood was from always from my colitis or something else. He said to keep him posted. EVERYTIME?

How do I get piece of mind that I don't have cancer? Colon cancer is big in my family - no one in my immediate family - but several uncles, aunts and cousins!

Also, will my stomach ever get back to normal size? I have always had a weight problem - but I've ALWAYS had a flat stomach so this swelling is all new - so is the contestant pressure.

Can this every really go in remission? (IS that the right word?

LunaNatasha responded:
SayaG,

It sounds like you are asking all the right questions. From my experience, I know you can go into remission (yes, that is the right word), but unfortunately it may take time until your GI and your body figure it all out. I get chronic constipation, followed by a day or two of diarrhea. I have met many people who are constipated instead of having diarrhea.

When your doctor said to "keep him posted" I doubt he meant every time, my doctor usually means to keep track and tell him generally how things are going. Also, if the bleeding doesn't subside or if it gets worse, definitely talk to your doctor right away.

As far as piece of mind from cancer, make sure you get colonoscopys as recommended to keep it in check. As long as you keep up with preventative care, most colon cancer is preventable or containable. (from my reading at least, and from the profuse amount of colon cancer that runs in my family)

As far as your stomach size and constant pressure, you will feel some relief when you finally go to the bathroom...however, I always have fluctuations in stomach swelling because of the variance between constipation and diarrhea. Also, I have yet to be pain-free for any length of time since being diagnosed....but I found that my definition of "pain" has changed and I'm able to tolerate it much more. Additionally, there are meds that help with the pain, so ask your doctor about that.
Please know that this community is a great resource of people and experience and that we care about you, so keep us updated!

SayaG replied to LunaNatasha's response:
LunaNatasha,

Thanks for your kind reply. Since my last posting my pain seems to be worse - and I am sure my constant concern over my health issues doesn't help! I have a new doctor and he promised me that he was in it for the long haul! He wants to do some more tests to determine a course of action. He said that there are so many causes different Colitis' that we need to know which I have to determine the best direction for care. He didn't promise to 'heal' me - but he promised to do the best he can to get my life as back to normal as is possible. I see him again next week - after he has had the chance to get all my records and read them. I felt really great after leaving his office because I actually felt like someone listened! But, now my mind is going off in a negative direction! I know I need to work on my emotional state - but I am not sure what to do to get there!

LunaNatasha replied to SayaG's response:
SayaG,

I'm glad you had a good experience with your doctor....that matters sooooo much. I hope he comes up with some answers for you. Just remember, unfortunately, it will probably months if not years before you feel like you did before you got sick...just ask the others on this site.

As far as the emotional part, I agree, it is really hard to have a positive emotional state after dealing with all that you deal with. I still cry on almost a daily basis...whether from pain, or frustration, or the frustration of living with pain that nobody can see or understand.

Try to hang in there. I know it's easier said than done, as I've considered offing myself from all this, but I'm still here, so far, so I hope you are too and that things will start to look up for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Luna

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 18 i was Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about a month ago , it all started about four month's ago cause i had these red mark's on t...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.