Skip to content
Constant hunger?
twentysomething14 posted:
Hello - I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 4 years ago. Im on Imuran and I also take Remicade treatments (As a side note I went on birth control 3 months ago) These past 4 days I've had constant hunger. I always feel hungry when I am done eating. I feel full that I stop eating and then Im hungry right after. Is this because of Colitis or maybe the birth control? I haven't been on birth control for 4 years so I dont know if constant hunger is a side effect from birth control. Just wondering if anyone else who has colitis or crohns has this. Thank you in advance for any advice.

miserable_sob responded:
I'd be more worried about trying to stay healthy when it comes to your colon. After I was diagnosed with UC, about 3 to 4 years later my case was so out of control, I had J Pouch surgery. Now all I can do 23 years later is look back and regret choosing that surgery. What I'm really saying here is I'm not overlooking your hunger concerns, I just believe you should be thankful you can still live with your colon now and do what it takes with your dieting and whatever else to keep it healthy.

hannahleigh89 responded:
Are you underweight? One element of birth control is that it tries to keep your body at a weight that's healthy for pregnancy because it kind of tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant. This sometimes results in weight gain, so it is possible that it's from the birth control.

I'm hungry all the time, too.

SayaG responded:
My stomach burns a lot of the time - eating seems to help! But I am gaining weight! And I have constipation problems as well - I have NEVER had diarrhea problems. Is having a burning stomach 'normal' with colitis?

hannahleigh89 replied to SayaG's response:
Are you on anything for acid reflux or excess acid production?

jodi2125 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I was on birth control for many years and never experienced that. I know I did have that constant hunger when I had modee to severe reflux. I would get a burning and hunger sensation. The medication helped with the constant hunger and burning.

SayaG replied to jodi2125's response:
Thanks for all the replies, I have since found out that I also have diverticulitis in both my stomach and colon. I suspect that could be a contributing factor as well. I have cut out gluten for now to see if that will help with the healing and pain - I am going to have a biopsy this week.

Thanks for your prayers and support.
Saya

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 26 and was diagnosed with Crohn's in April of 2007. I've always have had digestive problems. When I was younger it was more of a con...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.