Skip to content
Still Here
swvagirl posted:
Hello All,

It's been a while since I have posted, between not having my password to my email account, and not being able to log in here because I couldn't get into my email! Figures.

Last time I posted we had just found out I was pregnant, and we are still going strong with that. 32 weeks on monday and we are having a boy. Crohn's has been ok thus far, not great like I was hoping but I'm gaining weight and the baby looks healthy. I have 2 questions for everyone...

1) What do you use on your hemroids if you have them. (mine seem to be getting worse the further along in my pregnancy.)

2) I'm worried that I will pass this on to my child, even though there is no "proof" that this is genetically linked between mother and child. Does anyone have any close family that also had serious bowel issues? For instance, my maternal grandmother had colitis and had a colostomy bag when I was a child.

Any info would be appreciated!

SWVAGIRL
Sarah

arbob5 responded:
Hemorrhoids are normal during pregnancy due to the pressure in that area. I never had them before I had kids, and they didn't bother me at all until I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.

As far as a genetic link regarding crohns or UC, or IBS, my father had one heck of a time with his bowels, but never did anything about it, and one of my older sisters has had problems for years, but once again, has done nothing about it. So I guess I could assume there is a genetic link there. I have tried to talk to my sister about her problem and what I went through before I was lucky to go into remission with my UC, but she will not listen. We are seniors, and she feels that she's OK otherwise and this is her only problem. So, I have given up on trying to talk her into anything.

So happy for you and the upcoming birth of your son. You have so much happiness ahead of you. Parenthood is difficult but so doggone rewarding. Just remember that when you have sleepless nights. They do get over it and your life will be more complete with a child, believe me.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Can't wait to hear about the birth. It is so exciting.

hannahleigh89 responded:
My father and brother both have UC. There is somewhat of a genetic link, I believe I read that mothers have a 9% chance of passing it on to their children, but if both parents have Crohn's, the chance raises to like, 36% or something similar.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
My grandmother had Crohns. I don't know of anybody else in my family though who was diagnosed with Colitis. In my case though I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and I'm the only person I know of in my family (too many members to start counting) to be diagnosed with it. In my case though, I believe it's not because of heritage but a severe accident I got in that almost took my life. I only wish it did because it was only months after the accident that I came down with Ulcerative Colitis and Lactose Intolerance too. Since they both happened at the same time, I couldn't separate one from the other. Anyhow, I really believe it was the accident that triggered my illness.

yuyitalinda62 responded:
From my personal experience as well as my friend's, I believe that hermorrhoids are very normal in pregnancy. Myself I never had any problems with that before I had my first child. He is now 21 and I still suffer from them. Just make sure you eat the right foods so that they don't flare up as much.

As for Chron's disease, it might be genetics. My daughter is 20 years old and she was diagnosed in 2010 with Chron's & acid reflux. Her father has always complained of being lactose intolerant, even though he's never been diagnosed by a doctor. He would always complain of stomach pain, and we noticed that certain foods would trigger it. My daughter has now been on Cimzia for the last 8 months, and so far so good. She tried Humira but that wasn't helping her as much.

I pray that you feel better throughout the rest of your pregnancy, and that hopefully you can find the remedy that can help you live a better life. You've got a lot to be thankful for, you are being blessed with a beautiful child.

mindyj1971 responded:
Hi Sarah!

My paternal grandmother just passed away this past weekend. She was having horrible stomach pain and when they did a scan on her, they found a congenital condition....she had a hole in her intestines. She was 88 y/o and the surgeon said he has never seen anyone that age with that condition. They usually find it much earlier and correct it. Anyway, other parts of her intestines got wrapped up and tangled in that hole and strangulated part of her bowel. She had dead tissue. They did try to cut out the dead portion, but the toxins from that were just too much for her body to fight off. Other than that, no one else in my family has ever been diagnosed with an IBD...plenty of family members have sensitivities to different foods, etc....but I am the lucky one with Crohn's.

I, too, worry about my kids getting this...I guess all I can do is be thankful that I know more about this disease than I would like, so I will always be supportive if anything should happen to them. I just know that it was rough being diagnosed at age 37...can't imagine having it while trying to get through school.

Good to see you again!
Mindy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 39 yrs old, was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000, but suffered through " I don't know what it is, or it's just stress&q...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.