Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
UC Diet
FatiguedAJ posted:
I have had UC for 3 years and I am sick of being sick. Anything that I eat is a pain. Well, can anyone please suggest diet for flare-up? Every site that I visit suggest only things that you can't eat. Nobody really suggests as to what you can actually eat that will help. I am highly depressed. I can't manage work, home, and studies all together

arbob5 responded:
I was dx with UC almost 4 years ago and I have had many ups and downs. Diet does play a part in your everyday living as well as how to eat during a flare.

I would suggest (this really came from my doctors nurse) rice, plain baked potatoes, broiled fish or chicken, cereal such as shredded wheat (I prefer the bite size), and all in all, fiber, and to be honest with you, everyone is different. These work for me. I am very fortunate that after almost 4 years, I have pretty much been in remission for about 8 months. But we just never know when a flare will occur. Also, spring and fall seem to bring on a flare. No one knows why, other than change in weather, etc. etc. etc. No real answer.

I hope you can find a diet that works for you. I would only suggest to eat light, and pay attention to what really does work for you. As I said, everyone is different. What works for me will more than likely not work for someone else. Also, I think common sense has to play a part here. No fried foods, go easy on veggies and fruits during a flare, etc. In other words, pay attention to how your body reacts to certain foods.

Good luck and please stay in touch so we can see how you're doing. I hope this has been helpful to you, although somewhat sketchy on what you can or can't have. Again, it's up to you to find out what works.

stuottawa responded:
I have had mild UC for many years.
I strongly believe I can manage my condition through stress management, diet and supplements. (For me Vitamin D)
I recommend two books. But stress that there is not one diet to fit all, it must be individualized. Everything you read must be 'filtered' by you taking into account your personal condition, beliefs and preferences.

Book 1 - What to Eat With IBD by Tracie Dalessandro ( who has videos on this site)

Book 2 - The New Eating Right for a Bad Gut by James Scala

daki98fl responded:
I actually just started this new diet, Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I have been on it for a week now and although it is very restrictive and difficult to follow I believe it is something that I can commit to. It requires alot of cooking and although cooking is not neccesarrily one of my strengths most of the recipes are pretty basic. Also, from what I have read, there are many people testifying that they are now free of symptoms. Here is the link for more info. http://www.ccfa.org/about/news/scd
Hope it helps!

hannahleigh89 responded:
I do well with baked potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, plain sandwiches (like turkey on white bread with American cheese- no crust on the bread) and those sorts of things. Very plain. No spices.

I don't do well at all with shredded wheat when I'm hurting. Fiber in general seems to make me cramp worse and causes bleeding. I do okay with the fiber supplements (like Benefiber) but I still can't digest the whole dietary fiber stuff well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story... Hi I am Megan. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in April 2007, after 10+ years of trying to find out what was wrong with me, when my mo...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.