Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crohns and Salmonella Poisoning
CountryMommaFlorida posted:
I have Crohns and was on methotrexate and immune suppresant meds until I contracted salmonella poisoning. I became sick after flying north for my grandmothers funeral and touched something before eating pretzels and contracted salmonella. I am fighting depression as this has caused me to not be able to work due to being in the medical field. I am very frustrated at how long it is taking for treatment and that this has caused me to go back into a COMPLETE flare up. I will be honest, I don't know where to go from here, I feel so lost. I finally was beginning to live life again and now I hurt so bad and can't go far from a bathroom. Has anyone ever been in this situation? My docs say they have never delt with this situation before and I don't have much confidence as my GI for the last 6 years moved right after diagnosed with salmonella and the GI and the docs from Infectious Disease have given me little to no idea of what is going on. They say that it responded to 3 different antibiotics in the sensitivity test however one of the 3 is what they used for 12 days by IV in the hospital and 10 days oral at home when I was first sick. Now they want to put me back on it for 2 weeks until they know what to actually use to treat it. Does that make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me but I'm not a doctor either. Very frustrated and feeling very alone in this challenge. Please give me any feedback, it is much appreciated.
Heather

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first back surgery in April 1986. It kept me from becoming paralyzed but didn't reduce my pain. In 1989 I finally accepted my disability ...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.