Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6-mp
41cheles posted:
Hello, is there anyone out there who is taking 6-mp for Crohns disease, my doctor just put me on it and im really nervouse about starting a new med in addition to asacol, just wondering what to expect any helping hints

hannahleigh89 responded:
I was on azathioprine and then methotrexate, both of which I believe are similar to 6MP. I took them with no success- I had to discontinue the azathioprine because of pancreatitis. I stopped the methotrexate because it was doing me no good and we opted for surgery.

The things you need to watch out for from my experience are increase in frequency and length of colds and sinus infections and hair loss. I upped my prenatal vitamins to two a day and it took care of the hair loss though. Also, if you are of child bearing age, those drug do crazy things to babies, both from the male and female side of conception. So make sure you're using effective birth control if that could be an issue.

evanwilliam replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hey where did you find the side effects that speak of reproductive problems? I am curious because I fathered a child while taking 6MP for about 6 months before pregnancy and a year after and I want to find out if it may have caused him some harm.

hannahleigh89 replied to evanwilliam's response:
Azathioprine and Imuran are pregnancy category D, which means that there is positive evidence that a human fetus has been harmed by it before. You're supposed to tell the patient taking this medication to use contraception for at least four months following completion of therapy with this medication. This is from a drug guide I had to purchase for school so I can't give you a link, but if you Google it, I'm sure you'll find it.

That being said, I think in your other post you said the child was 2, my guess is that they aren't going to have any problem from it. My understanding is that it usually causes birth defects that would have been evident at the time the child was born.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there. It feels like I've been dealing with intestinal issues my whole life. I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 17; I'...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.