Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When to take emergency prednisone/antibiotics when traveling-UC/RA Flare
Anon_145135 posted:
Hi everyone,

I have UC and rheumatoid arthritis. I am currently traveling overseas in South America. Right now, I am having a bit of a flare-up after having been symptom free for a month. Starting overnight, I developed bad abdominal pain/cramping and nausea. Today, the abdominal pains are not as bad, but I have no appetite and horrendous joint pain - the worst I have had in years. I have not had any diarrhea or blood in my stools.

I'm kind of in a jam because since my UC is acting up, I can't take my NSAID for my joint pain. At what point should I seek medical attention, start a course of antibiotics, or start a course of prednisone?(I have antibiotics and prednisone here with me just in case).

I'm just not quite sure what to do. Has anyone ever been in this situation before? If something serious is going on, I don't want to let it go without getting medical attention.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

arbob5 responded:
Even tho you have a supply of prednisone, you really should contact your Dr. as far as what dosage to take. That is very important. And then gradually, you have to be tapered off of the higher dose. That is not fun, but it can be done very slowly, so it's easier on your body. Prednisone is a wonderful drug for UC, but it can play havoc on your entire body.

Again, I think you should contact your Dr. to see what dose to start on. And please let us know how you're doing.

By the way, Spring seems to bring on flares. I have been in remission from my UC for about 7 months or so, but the last week I have noticed a slight flare. I'm managing it tho by my diet instead of getting back on prednisone. I do not want to do that.

Safe traveling and God bless.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 22, and was diagnosed with UC April 2010. I'm usually pretty active (yoga, walking, jogging, dance etc), so feeling lousy is a challenge! ...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.