Skip to content
UC Flare up foods...
runrsue posted:
I was hospitalized for an acute attack of UC 15 years ago. Surgery was suggested bu tfortunately I was able to avoid that. I did some research on line and found that in the UK, many people with UC were using peppermint oil tablets and tea in place of drug therapies.
I decided to try it. I took two tablets with each meal and at bedtime. Can't remember the strength of the tablets as it was 15 years ago and I haven't needed to do it again!
I ate a restricted bland diet for approximately 2 weeks which included oatmeal EVERY morning and no fried foods, beets, gravy, caffeine, nuts, alcohol, or vegetables. I did eat poached chicken for protein. This calmed my GI system down enough to start slowly adding more "normal" foods.
I just had a colonoscopy done and the doc said that my GI tract was in excellent health and that I did not have to do another test for 10 years! So I am either in the longest remission ever or cured! Well...not cured....I still have indications when I know I have to modify my diet for a week or so to relax my GI tract and I do my old diet as prescribed above. But I catch it before it becomes a real problem. Anyway, works for me and I don't need any drugs!

arbob5 responded:
That is wonderful. It seems to me that a year or so ago, someone else posted on this site about peppermint oil tablets. I recall that because I started to search the web so I could purchase some. I don't know why I didn't, but I think it definitely sounds very interesting and promising for so many with UC. I think my first thought was it would certainly be worth a try.

I have since gone into remission, but I will start my search again. I know these tablets are out there somewhere!

arbob5 responded:
There are many places to purchase peppermint oil capsules. Amazon.com for one and Swansonvitamins.com for another. Many others too. FYI

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 24 yr old who works full time and is finishing my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling. I also work part time at a local retailer...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.