Skip to content
UC Flare up foods...
runrsue posted:
I was hospitalized for an acute attack of UC 15 years ago. Surgery was suggested bu tfortunately I was able to avoid that. I did some research on line and found that in the UK, many people with UC were using peppermint oil tablets and tea in place of drug therapies.
I decided to try it. I took two tablets with each meal and at bedtime. Can't remember the strength of the tablets as it was 15 years ago and I haven't needed to do it again!
I ate a restricted bland diet for approximately 2 weeks which included oatmeal EVERY morning and no fried foods, beets, gravy, caffeine, nuts, alcohol, or vegetables. I did eat poached chicken for protein. This calmed my GI system down enough to start slowly adding more "normal" foods.
I just had a colonoscopy done and the doc said that my GI tract was in excellent health and that I did not have to do another test for 10 years! So I am either in the longest remission ever or cured! Well...not cured....I still have indications when I know I have to modify my diet for a week or so to relax my GI tract and I do my old diet as prescribed above. But I catch it before it becomes a real problem. Anyway, works for me and I don't need any drugs!

hannahleigh89 responded:
I have trouble believing this. If you have UC, no sane GI doctor would tell you that you didn't need another colonoscopy for 10 years.

Magsjeanea responded:
There, apparently, is a new protocol for doing a repeat colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007 and went into remission the next year. I asked my GI about a repeat and he said that I didn't need another one for 5 years. He gave me the repeat schedule but I really don't remember what he said, all I know is that I won't need another on for a while (as long as I stay well). My doctor is also a professor of GI medicine at the University of Tennessee, so I think he is up on the latest protocols. Hope you stay in remission.
Take care,
Jeaneau
Love Goes There,

Jeaneau

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am about to turn 40 in July and was diagnosed with UC in February 2010 after a colonoscopy. I am currently on 20g of Prednisone and 12 Asacol pills ...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful