Skip to content
UC Flare up foods...
runrsue posted:
I was hospitalized for an acute attack of UC 15 years ago. Surgery was suggested bu tfortunately I was able to avoid that. I did some research on line and found that in the UK, many people with UC were using peppermint oil tablets and tea in place of drug therapies.
I decided to try it. I took two tablets with each meal and at bedtime. Can't remember the strength of the tablets as it was 15 years ago and I haven't needed to do it again!
I ate a restricted bland diet for approximately 2 weeks which included oatmeal EVERY morning and no fried foods, beets, gravy, caffeine, nuts, alcohol, or vegetables. I did eat poached chicken for protein. This calmed my GI system down enough to start slowly adding more "normal" foods.
I just had a colonoscopy done and the doc said that my GI tract was in excellent health and that I did not have to do another test for 10 years! So I am either in the longest remission ever or cured! Well...not cured....I still have indications when I know I have to modify my diet for a week or so to relax my GI tract and I do my old diet as prescribed above. But I catch it before it becomes a real problem. Anyway, works for me and I don't need any drugs!

hannahleigh89 responded:
I have trouble believing this. If you have UC, no sane GI doctor would tell you that you didn't need another colonoscopy for 10 years.

Magsjeanea responded:
There, apparently, is a new protocol for doing a repeat colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007 and went into remission the next year. I asked my GI about a repeat and he said that I didn't need another one for 5 years. He gave me the repeat schedule but I really don't remember what he said, all I know is that I won't need another on for a while (as long as I stay well). My doctor is also a professor of GI medicine at the University of Tennessee, so I think he is up on the latest protocols. Hope you stay in remission.
Take care,
Jeaneau
Love Goes There,

Jeaneau

Spotlight: Member Stories

Karen (36 yrs old) Microscopic Colitis, Fructose & Sucrose Intolerant Undiagnosed for more than 10 yrs with lower abdominal pain, 15-20 restroom ...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.