Skip to content
ileus
barbiel2 posted:
My husband had surgery last Monday to remove his colon and make a jpouch. He has the illiostomy, everything seemed to be going fine. They removed the NG tube the day after. He was have bm's they were aall liquid, he had gas on a regular basis. they started him on clear liquds. then after a couple of days he started getting an upset stomach and then vomited what was in his bag. so they put the NG tube back in. DR said he had ileus which is common in some cases. after a couple more days they took the tube out again. things going good, got up and did a couple of laps around the floor and took a semi shower. the next day he was wiped out. That was Saturday, Sunday he slept all day. Monday he was having bad gas pains that he couldn't get rid of. Tuesday same bad pains by this time he was off the morphine and found that .5 daldin and 10mg percocet worked for the pain. Tuesday he started with very bad hic-cups that would go for 1/2 hr at a time. They actually started sometime Monday in the middle of the night so it was a long night with little sleep. The nurse emptied his bag before shift change which is at 7am and there wasn't much in there then. Several hrs later there was still nothing. Ok i may be a day behind here. well now he had the NG tube back in he has not produced any bm in over 12 hrs or more still is getting the hic-cups and now has pneumonia. Dr says his bowels are asleep, they were working what happened and what happens if they dont wake back up?
Sorry about any mis-spellings I haven't had much sleep either.

rhkress428 responded:
Please do not worry. I have had numerous GI surgeries, including a Whipple procedure and can tell you from experience that any surgery causes the GI tract to go into shock and it will take anywhere from 2 to 5 days for it to return to its normal peristalsis. Normally, I am started on a liquid diet and then progress to soft diet as bowel sounds become more prevelant and then advance from there. Everyone is different, but do not be too concerned over the amount of time, it will be weeks or months before things are "normal" again. Take each day as it comes. As for the hiccups, have your husband bite into a slice of lemon, it will immediately stop the hiccups.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been sick since the Spring of 2003, which was my senior year of High School. I still don't have a 'real' diagnosis, though have bee...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.