Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Camera Pill
Shinydiamond posted:
Has anyone tried the camera pill, also known as camera endoscopy and was it helpfull in diagnosing anything?

lbcash responded:
I had the camera pill procedure. It wasn't that big of a deal. I went to docs office early one morning, swallowed the pill with cup of warm water and baby gas drops in it. They attached some wires to my abodomen and those wires were attached to a pouch that I carried like a purse. I passed the pill in four hours so my procedure didn't last long, but I think that I was supposed to go back to office in six hours unless the pouch beeped telling that I passed it early. My doc needed to positive tests to diagnose me with Crohn's. He had a lab test already that was consistent and the pill cam was the other test that helped him diagnose me. The colonoscopy and endoscopy didn't show anything, but the pill cam showed him exactly where my inflamation was and how bad it was. I would recommend it! Good luck!

Shinydiamond replied to lbcash's response:
Ibcash,
Thanks for the info! My husband has been really sick with terrible stomach pains and bloating for almost 2 years now. He has tried to get a colonoscopy done twice, but both times he had to cancel as he promptly threw the prep up. His stomach gets so big and bloated that he looks pregnant and it's super firm to the touch. I am really hoping that the camera pill shows what is wrong with his stomach.

miserable_sob replied to Shinydiamond's response:
Since I'm going to be taking a Colonoscopy soon, I'd rather just try the camera pill myself. I wish they'd offer that as an option more often than the dreaded Colonoscopy. I don't like the idea of a Colonoscopy now since I have the dreaded J Pouch attached to me.

lbcash replied to miserable_sob's response:
You know my insurance wouldn't pay for me to just have the pill cam. They required for my doc to perform a colonoscopy, endoscopy and barium xray and then if he still needed the pill cam for diagnosing he could do it. What's so ironic is that if they would have just let him do the pill cam first then it would have saved them money in the long run by them not having to pay for all of those other test.

Shinydiamond replied to lbcash's response:
Those were my thoughts exactly about the insurance company. Why not try the least invasive method first, instead of making the patient go through a colonoscopy, endoscopy and barium xray. My husband has had a ct scan, xray, ultrasound, and endoscopy. I had to appeal to the insurance company that his medical records showed that he did try twice for the colonscopy, but could not be properly cleaned out. The dr said that if the insurance company didn't want to pay still, he could be put in the hospital and be hooked up to a saline drip and cleaned out that way.

KeepingPositiv responded:
After suffering from major digestive issues (diarrehia, weight loss, pain) and not showing any results on an endoscopy or colonoscopy, my GI doctor recommended the pill cam. The pill cam was able to pinpoint the area of my inflammation, which the original colonoscopy did not find. Unfortunately, I had to go through another colonoscopy to find out the severity of my condition, but the pill cam was able to point the doctors in the right direction and provide me with a diagnosis of Crohn's. The pill cam is much easier than the colonoscopy and results in less bloating after the fact, but I would imagine it is much more expensive!

Shinydiamond replied to KeepingPositiv's response:
okay, had the camera pill test done. it got all the way to the end of the small intestine and just sat there until the battery ran out. no inflammation up, scarring, lesions, nothing. Does anyone have any information on what type of conditions can happen below the small intestine? Im much too impatient to wait 2 weeks for the dr's appt before I find out anything else. I'm gonna start researching.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my early-mid 30s & just got a firm dx of Crohn's this year (April 2010) but have been feeling ill since the end of college. I use t...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.