Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to Discussion - Crohn's Complications - Typical?
KeepingPositiv posted:
I am new to this discussion board and am looking for some advice.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in February 2012, after about 5 years of ongoing bowel movement concerns and weight loss (total loss of 60 pds). After the diagnosis, I was put on Prednisone (tapered) for 8 weeks and Lialda (3 per day). I concluded my Prednisone course and about 3-4 weeks after that got really sick.

For the past two weeks I've had diarrehia and extreme urgency for bowel movements. Also, I have this gurgling/bloating noise in my stomach. Lost about 10 pounds and cannot seem to keep food or liquids in. The GI doctor prescribed another 8 weeks of Prednisone (tapered again) and I recently finished a one-week course of Flagly and Cipro.

I still am off of work due to the continued urgency and diarrehia.

Being new to Crohn's, are these systems typical of a Crohn's flare-up and that the medication prescriped just isn't keeping me in remission? Or, is this something more serious? I don't want to think that this is my new way of life. Very depressing. I'm hoping this is something that can be controlled....

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you!

hannahleigh89 responded:
If you were just diagnosed in February, the Lialda hasn't had enough time to do much of anything. It's my understanding that the prednisone is to get the inflammation in check so that the Lialda can keep it in check. Until your inflammation is at a controlled state, the Lialda can't help much just yet.

Diarrhea and urgency are definitely normal symptoms of a Crohn's flare. And that gurgling noise in your gut may never go away, lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease in 2008. Since then my husband and 3 children have been through so much with me. Several hospitalizations, 2 ...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.