Skip to content
Flare Ups that hit like a ton of bricks!
itswhit posted:
Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

This is the third time that i have had a flare up that came out of no where. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2008. When I have a flare it comes out of nowhere. I will be feeling fine one minute, then I will begin feeling dizzy, sweating profusely, stomach pain and vomiting start. My blood pressure bottoms out, etc. We have to end up calling an ambulance because the attack is so acute.

All hospital stays are usually 3-5 days with the CT showing imflammation of large and small intestine and this last time the esophagus and stomach were also inflammed. Typically i am low on potassium also. One of flares was actually ischemic colitis with bleeding, and I was told that really wasn't Crohn's related. (not sure what to think about that.) While in the hospital it's the usual liquid diet and Cipro and Flagyl IV's while in the hospital. When I am released I have to take it easy for a few weeks of course but then everything returns to normal until the next time. Weird!

Are these what you would consider normal flareups? The bottoming out of the vitals is what really scares me. When I was first diagnosed I was told it was a mild case. Now I don't know what to think.

I don't want to have to deal with a hospitalization over 6-8 months. I just would like to hear some other peoples experiences to know that i am not alone.

Thanks for any input!

hannahleigh89 responded:
That is not a normal flare up, from my experience. Usually, if there are any changes in vital signs from a Crohn's flare, it has more to do with the effects of pain or dehydration, not a random fluctuation.

You may have another issue going on that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

I've been having some similar issues, but I believe mine are another problem and not necessarily linked to Crohn's Disease. My episodes only last about an hour or two and then I go back to feeling almost normal (for me) again, as long as I sit down. I think mine may be a blood sugar issue, because the symptoms all match the description of a hypoglycemic episode. So who knows, lol.

But no, that is not typical of a Crohn's flare. Low grade fever, increased diarrhea, nausea, vomiting maybe, and pain are usually what you get with a flare.

Sugarberry22 responded:
Hi itswhit. I'm so glad I saw your post because you sound just like me!!!!!!!!! I was diagnosed with Crohn's in the early 1980's and my flares have always been exactly as you describe; however, I have only been admitted into the hospital once in all these years, and that was for a blockage. There have been many trips to the ER though where they administer fluids and give me Zofran to stop the nausea. When I have flares, they usually hit during the middle of the night. I get dizzy, feel faint, break out in a cold sweat, go at both ends, have chills, etc... I can feel fine when I go to bed but then WHAM - I'm sick as a dog just a few hours later.

Anyway, over the last year or so, I have started putting two-and-two together and now realize there are usually signs that I'm about to have a flare. For example, I got sick as recently as last week and missed two days of work. While I was at home recouperating, it dawned on me that I had been feeling dizzy for the past two weeks, my hips and back had been hurting, and my tummy hadn't felt just right. They were all vague symptoms, but I know now they were signaling an impending flare. Oh, and this was something new for me... my left index finger and my left big toe both swelled up, turned red and were very painful just a day or two before the flare. I've heard of that happening to Crohn's patients, but it was the first time it had ever happened to me.

I hope this helped. I love hearing others' Crohn's stories because it makes me realize it's not all in my head. Happy Holidays!

jerziegirl434 replied to Sugarberry22's response:
have been reading posts on here for days now ,looking for some answers to my questions ,the doc told me i have gastritis but the flare ups i have and the pain and symptoms, i think NOT,during and after a very painful attack im layed for days weakend and drained,this is happening to often and i cant function,can some one tell me how i go about finding out whether or not i have crohns,what is the necessary tests i need? aside from this making me lose my sanity im also going to lose my job

teddtlove replied to jerziegirl434's response:
To be tested for Crohn's or UC you need to have a colonoscopy or a sigmoidoscopy. Sorry you feel so bad

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in August of 2008 after several months of bouncing around to different doctors trying to find answers. For mon...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.