Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
UC and sinus infections
kmp04 posted:
Hello all. I am brand new to this community and wanted to pose a question to you all. I have had UC for four years, but was just recently told that biopsy results suggest my flares result from some form of an infection. I thought it odd and interesting that right as my most recent (current) flare began, I came down with a bad sinus infection the very next morning. Has this or something similar happened to anyone else? I had been flare-free for almost three years before this most recent one. Any tips on how to cope? I had previously read that antibiotics were not good for the gut and I am hesitant to take one for the sinus infection for fear that it will make the UC symptoms worse. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

ally9099 responded:
people with uc and crohns disease have very low immune systems so i would contact your dr before taking any medicine

hannahleigh89 responded:
Antibiotics can be hard on the gut, but having a run down immune system from battling an infection that's being left untreated is also bad news. If you have an active infection, or if you suspect you have one, you should visit a doctor. Make them aware of your condition, as there are some antibiotics that help with a wide range of bacteria that may be less harsh on the gut.

I've not noticed a correlation between flares and infections, but I've been in an almost constant flare since my diagnosis, so it'd be hard for me to notice. I do have a cold or sinus infection of some kind probably 75% of the time, but I'm on medication that drastically reduces the immune response. I've had a sore on the inside of my left nostril that hasn't healed in... It'll be two years in October, from the constant irritation due to snotting and the like.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in September 08. I had just started out with what I thought was a stomach bug in January 08, but my symptoms ...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.