Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crohns, Clomid and Trying to get pregnant
jaimem92 posted:
Hey all,
Well my husband and I have started the wonderful journey of fertility treatments. We've been trying to conceive since January, and my Dr felt that with my Crohns I would probably need a little help. I've started this lovely drug called Clomid. I honestly can say that it makes me feel terrible. I'm starting my second round of the med tonight. (You take it for 5 days, days 3-8 of your cycle). So be praying that this is the month that we get pregnant! I've been feeling really good Crohn's-wise. I had one small little flare up right before my Remicade this month- but I think it was due to the stress of my hormones being out of control(I've seriously never been such an emotional mess as when I was on this stuff) So keep me in thought this month Wondering if anyone else has Crohn's and had to go through this?

hannahleigh89 responded:
Oh good luck! That's very exciting. I've not heard of Crohn's increasing your need for fertility treatments, but I guess if you have a lot going on, it wouldn't hurt. I've not been through the whole trying to get pregnant thing yet, so I can't offer much advice. Just make sure you get on a good prenatal vitamin, if you haven't already. Keep us updated!

LauraLW responded:
Hi Jaime, congratulations on starting a new chapter in your life

I was on clomid for 4months when we conceived. Clomid is a very common medicine used for infertility. Did you have testing done to see if you did have problems with ovulation? We had not had a pregnancy in 10yrs of unprotected sex. My husband had sperm tested and I had some bloodwork to test hormone levels before we started the med. It was determined that I had problems ovulating. Has your doctor told you that clomid increases your chance of multiples? Especially if you don't have a problem ovulating. We had a single pregnancy, but someone I know who doesn't have altered ovulation took the med and had triplets!

I don't know if crohns is definitively linked to infertility or even if it was a factor for us. I think the biggest factor could be malnutrition sometimes resulting in the loss of my period for months. For people that have had certain abdominal surguries, like rectal surgury, that can make getting pregnant more difficult bc it alters the way the uterus lies. In that case, clomid wouldn't help.

If people are on clomid for 3-5 months without a pregnancy, it is common for your dr. to order a test called a hysterosalpingogram. This test puts xray dye into your uterus and fallopian tubes and checks for a physical abnormality that would hinder pregnancy, and makes sure the tubes are patent. If you have the test, stay on clomid at least another month or two, bc it's thought to "clean out the tubes" to make it easier to get pregnant

I sure hope you are successful and you are soon blessed with a healthy and wonderful pregnancy & baby! keep us posted

jaimem92 replied to LauraLW's response:
Thanks guys. I was having problems ovulating. I didn't have my period for 3 months and then was really irregular after getting off of the pill. When I was younger they thought I might have endometriosis too, but then I'm not sure if that could have been a Crohn's thing or not. I'm hoping that the clomid works this time around, I'm not a huge fan of the side effects of this medicine. Anyway, I've heard mixed reviews about Crohn's and infertility. Some say it causes problems some say it doesn't. I know for sure if you're flaring it's harder, but I'm not so who knows. . Well, keep your fingers crossed everyone!

Magsjeanea replied to jaimem92's response:
jaimem,
I wish you well with your fertility travels. I took Clomid 30 years ago and conceived with no pregnancy complications. Although I thought I was having twins in the beginning cause I was so big so fast, my doc assured me that I had the same amount of chance of having twins as did women not on Clomid. I did find this information for you and thought you might be interested. Good luck!

What are the chances of having twins with Clomid?

Wondering if you'll get your own pair of "Clomid twins"? From the way the media paints fertility drugs and multiples, it can seem that everyone taking Clomid is bound to have twins, but that's not really true. What are your chances of having twins if you take Clomid?

Answer: Generally speaking, Clomid causes twin pregnancies about 10% of the time, with less than 1% of Clomid pregnancies leading to triplets or higher order pregnancies. During clinical trials for Clomid, about 7% of pregnancies led to twins, about 0.5% of pregnancies led to triplets and 0.3% to quadruplets.
During the clinical trials of the twin pregnancies, 1 in 5 were identical twins, while 80% of the twin pregnancies were fraternal twins (not identical). (Identical twins come from one egg, not two.)
Some women ask their doctors to give them Clomid, not because they are having trouble getting pregnant, but just because they want to get pregnant with twins. There are risks that come with multiple pregnancies, though. You should think twice before purposely trying to get pregnant with twins.
Love Goes There,

Jeaneau

jaimem92 replied to Magsjeanea's response:
Thanks for the info!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 22, and was diagnosed with UC April 2010. I'm usually pretty active (yoga, walking, jogging, dance etc), so feeling lousy is a challenge! ...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.