Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diarrhea after surgery?
arbob5 posted:
Hi group: Its been awhile.

I had right hip total replacement surgery on July 16. The surgery was so easy...I just cannot believe that after not quite 7 weeks, I have not used a cane or walker for 3 weeks, no pain at all, totally healed incision after 2-1/2 weeks, and while I had my other hip done 8 years ago, that surgery was not difficult, but it did take almost 2 hours, this surgery only took about an hour. I am still surprised.

Anyway, my UC had been in remission before the surgery, and now since the surgery, I have had diarrhea, some days are difficult, others are not too bad, but diarrhea nevertheless. My GI had me tested for C Diff and that was negative. One of the techs at the lab said sometimes major surgery can cause diarrhea and sometimes it takes awhile to get it under control. Is this a possibility? My GI didn't mention this, however, so I tend to think the tech was "reaching".

So, to make a long story short, here it is. I have loose BM's every morning after I wake up, sometimes 5 or 6 in a row, like every 15 or 30 minutes. Best description (here it gets graphic) is like applesauce. My GI nurse's description. Then the middle of the day is OK, then later in the date, after dinner, I might have a couple of BM's.

This is like something I've never had before. No bleeding, thank God. Back on low dose prednisone, 10 mg, for now, and on Lomotil. Not much help there.

Any thoughts on this and has anyone else gone through something similar after major surgery? My GI is on vacation this week and next, so this is not an emergency so I'll wait until he gets back.

Comments please.

hannahleigh89 responded:
Oh Arbob. You don't get to go and have surgery and leave me clueless, lol.

The tech is kind of right. Major surgery like that wreaks havoc on your body. The drugs they use for pain medicine and sedation are hard to process out, and it can all come together and cause stress. And by now, you know how detrimental stress can be. The extra insult to your body could have thrown you into a little semi-flare or something of the like. Are you having pain and all of that similar to when you are flaring? Or is it just the diarrhea that has you concerned?

My best advice would be to rest. You have to rest to recover from hip replacement surgery anyway, so just rest a little extra to help your body come out of its funk. Try to eat foods that aren't going to irritate it for a couple of days and see if that makes any difference.

My guess is your body is stressed out from recovering from the surgery (which it has done remarkably) and it hasn't had time to focus on your bowels. Keep us updated though!

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Thanks Hannah. I was hoping you would be the one to respond!!!!!

Only cramping...not pain at all. I recovered so quickly from this surgery, but you are probably right....I need to rest more. Now that I don't have the hip pain, I guess I have been overdoing it.

Sorry I didn't let you know about my surgery. I was just focusing on getting the darn thing over with.

I'll keep you posted. And I will try to be a good girl...I promise.

Love you!!!!

hannahleigh89 replied to arbob5's response:
You better be sorry, miss! I read that and my jaw about hit the floor, lol. We gotta stick together! And hip replacement isn't something to take lightly, even though your body seems to have decided that it is, lol.

The cramping is probably just going along with the diarrhea, the two are somewhat inseparable for me. Good thing there's no pain though, that's always a huge plus. Hopefully you're just a little out of whack and it'll line out with more rest. I would still mention it to your GI doc when he gets back. Mine gets mad at me if I don't tell her every little thing that's going on with my disease, lol.

Glad you're doing well though, other than that pesky diarrhea! I miss my other sickies so much some days, lol. Nobody else quite understands.

jaimem92 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hey Arbob. Glad to hear the surgery went ok! I agree with Hannah on the surgery being hard on your system and hopefully that's what's causing the issues. Anything that causes stress to the body can mess us up. Anyway. I hope you start feeling better!

arbob5 replied to jaimem92's response:
Appreciate the responses. I feel at home on this site and lately there hasn't been much going on here at all.

Today was a good day...I hope it's starting to turn itself around. I have to watch what I eat tho. I am borderline lactose intolerant, so I went and bought some Lactaid to use in case I decide to have ice cream or cheese (which I love) or yogurt (so-so, but good for our tummies!) I will watch what I eat tho.

I keep my GI's nurse informed on what's going on. She is great and has been such good support for me. There are several other GI's in this practice and she has "run me" past one of them just in case I need meds or whatever. They seem to think my GI may want to see me when he returns from vacation if I'm still having diarrhea, but for now, not an emergency at all. Hopefully when my doctor returns, I'll be doing better.

Again you guys, thanks for your support. I do appreciate it so much. Take care and God bless.

arbob5 replied to arbob5's response:
All is well now. It seems that the shock to my system from the hip surgery was the culprit. I am "normal" again, if that word ever really applies to me!!!!! Feeling great, completely pain free since the surgery, no restrictions at all, still doing at home exercises tho to be certain those muscles are healing well. So important. And diarrhea is no longer a problem.

So, thanks for the responses and help. Hannah, you will make a wonderful nurse. I kept thinking about your responses these past weeks and that got me through all of this. Hope all is well with you. God bless.

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
I only wish my diarrhea problems would come to an end that quickly even if it seemed like a long time to you Arbob, I understand.

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
I am curious as to whether you have ever tried honey on a daily basis? I have read up on this, and tried it myself, with some success. Three teaspoons of good, pure honey a day either before or after meals. Some of the results have been amazing. And as I stated, it was somewhat successful for me. I think it paid a part in my overcoming the diarrhea I had after my surgery.

All I can say is, it's probably helpful to some, but not for others. I feel it just can't hurt to try it. Besides, it tastes pretty darn good. Of course, if your a diabetic, it's not recommended.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Meg, and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in July 2007, two weeks before my wedding day. My husband is a pastor, and we are currentl...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.