Skip to content
Colitis and Constipation
Chattie1955 posted:
I have had left sided uc for nearly 20 years. My father died with colon cancer in 1980. My problem is I am never in the bathroom. Sometimes, it can be 10 days and it is always like that. My doctor said I could take Miralax, but I forgot to ask him if that is something I should take everyday. My doctor also said that 25% of people with uc are constipated depending upon the location. I take Asacol daily and have used Rowasa also, which helped alot, but I am off that now. Does anyone take Miralax or take it everyday??

Jerseygirlintn responded:
Hi, I'm 52 and recently was diagnosed with Crohn's in May of this year. I was advised to take Miralax every day instead of Colace or using enemas (not good to do often). I mix it in my apple juice and it doesn't change the taste or texture of it. I've been having a lot of problems with constipation for a very long time and I guess having strictures doesn't help matters. Right now the dietician has me on a "low residue diet" and I am so frustrated trying to figure out what's okay to eat. I know what I CAN'T eat, just about everything. I noticed that I didn't have as severe of a problem when I took probiotics. I've only been taking Miralax for a week now, but it is helping. I hope that helps at least a little. Hope you feel better...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 24 yr old who works full time and is finishing my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling. I also work part time at a local retailer...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful