Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colitis and Constipation
Chattie1955 posted:
I have had left sided uc for nearly 20 years. My father died with colon cancer in 1980. My problem is I am never in the bathroom. Sometimes, it can be 10 days and it is always like that. My doctor said I could take Miralax, but I forgot to ask him if that is something I should take everyday. My doctor also said that 25% of people with uc are constipated depending upon the location. I take Asacol daily and have used Rowasa also, which helped alot, but I am off that now. Does anyone take Miralax or take it everyday??

Jerseygirlintn responded:
Hi, I'm 52 and recently was diagnosed with Crohn's in May of this year. I was advised to take Miralax every day instead of Colace or using enemas (not good to do often). I mix it in my apple juice and it doesn't change the taste or texture of it. I've been having a lot of problems with constipation for a very long time and I guess having strictures doesn't help matters. Right now the dietician has me on a "low residue diet" and I am so frustrated trying to figure out what's okay to eat. I know what I CAN'T eat, just about everything. I noticed that I didn't have as severe of a problem when I took probiotics. I've only been taking Miralax for a week now, but it is helping. I hope that helps at least a little. Hope you feel better...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with UC in 2004 but by 2006 they figured out it was probably Crohn's. I've had symptoms since I was 10 or 11. I also have a g...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.