Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Advice *possible trigger*
Eloise0613 posted:
I have UC. I think I have an eating disorder, and nobody knows. I am tall and hide weight gain and loss easily to begin with, so I think I can get away with it. I think I may have developed an eating disorder because I have no control over most of my life. I already have Ulcerative Colitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Depression with Anxiety. My job sucks, I am alone in a new state, and i have no friends. I think controlling what doesn't go into my body is my way of having self-control.
I don't know what to do about this. Part of me wants to get better, but the other part of me that deals with the horrible physical pain of UC and CFS, as well as the mental pain of Depression and Anxiety just wants to waste away to nothing and die. I think about my own death all the time. In fact, I pray every night that I don't wake up in the morning. My life is unbearable and I just don't know what to do...advice?

hannahleigh89 responded:
I think you should probably see a psychiatrist, and I think you already know that.

teddtlove responded:
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I was really sick last year. I have UC and also was vomiting up to 10 times a day and no one could figure out why. I could not work and no one understood. I just wanted the pain to be over.. You can get through this. People with what you have can live a happy life. You have already taken a step in the right direction by admitting you need help. Now finish following through and call someone. Good luck and you can email me anytime at teddtlove@aol.com

Pdharma responded:
Eloise,

I read a response to your post that basically said to see a psychiatrist. Perhaps that is something you'd want to consider, but at the same time I found the response to be short, curt and basically a bit rude. I seriously doubt that the person who said that meant to be rude, so don't let that get you down.

Plus seeing a psychiatrist though it is something that might be of help to you (or anyone) is surely not the only type of health care assistance you need. So don't think that due to that response you got that people don't care about you and how you feel. That is not the case.

I'm sorry you got no better answer than that and am not sure what to tell you other than I totally understand your feelings (at least as much as I can) of depression etc. Being in a new place with no friends can take a strong toll on anyone, let alone someone battling illness.

It's a bit the same for me as I live in a small tourist trap of a town in Colorado that people constantly move in and out of due to the summer only economy. That and other factors make it hard for me to develop friends here also, though
I've never had that problem in life before moving here.
So I'll tell you what, I'd like to be your friend if you are up for it? I hope you would like that, I know I would.

So for now, just remember that you will get better at some point most likely. Possibly not 'cured' but getting enough
of a handle on your problems that it will make things better
than what you are dealing with now.

One last thing, I want to stress I'm no doctor, but neither
are most of the users of this system from what I can tell.
So I can't tell you what to do about any medical etc. options out there for you, but perhaps can present other options or ways of looking at things that help you make an informed decision about how best to help yourself.

Hang in there!

Sincerely,
premdharma,

p.s. Once again I apologize for the response you got when you wrote. I had nothing to do with it and I am sure the lady who wrote it had your best interests in mind. I think she's just young and is still perfecting her 'bedside manner' so to speak. But aren't we all:)

hannahleigh89 replied to Pdharma's response:
Oh wow. And I'm rude. My bedside manner is fine, thanks.

arbob5 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hannah, you are not rude, and you certainly have great bedside manners. You have a medical history and opinions that someone a lot older than you normally would have. When you post something here, it is genuine, honest and informative. Anyone who has another opinion of your experiences hasn't, obviously, seen and read what you have been through. I always appreciate your posts. They certainly have helped me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm in my early-mid 30s & just got a firm dx of Crohn's this year (April 2010) but have been feeling ill since the end of college. I use t...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.