Skip to content
I feel like I might have colitis but doctor disagrees....
An_249551 posted:
Hi everyone. I've never posted here but I am at my wit's end and I'm getting very scared/ frustrated. Since this is webMD and anonymous, I feel like I can give all the gorey details, and I apologize if I get too graphic. Basically, in the beginning of July, I started having urgent bathroom trips and my stomach was KILLING me, but I thought it was just a bug. It's now been almost 6 months. I did all kinds of blood tests and stool samples for my PCP, and everything came back negative, including the test for Celiacs. She finally referred me to a GI doctor, and after a few appointments with him I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for the beginning of January. He doesn't think I have IBS or colitis because there's never been any blood in my stool, but these are my symptoms:

-Frequent need to go #2
-Stool is either loose or clumpy... not a normal stool since July
-Stool has mucusy discharge with it
-I sometimes poop a clear jelly... yes, I said jelly... it's like a jelly like substance and not an actual stool.
-Stomach is upset with most everything I eat. I have completely lost the ability to digest fruit and ESPECIALLY nuts. Nuts make me sick like none other now.

All of this has been gross and hard enough to deal with it, but I'd be fine with it if I didn't have a long trip to Europe planned. I have been saving for quite some time and I am looking forward to traveling, and so it's scaring the crap out of me that I might feel like this over there while I am trying to enjoy myself. As of July, I had already started booking things, including some non-refundable plane tickets, so there's no way to put this trip off until things are figured out. I'm leaving in February.

Someone please help! THANK YOU!

miserable_sob responded:
I agree with your doctor. I had Colitis. I wish I still did since my life is even more miserable with a J Pouch now. When I had Colitis plenty of blood was involved. That's just the way it is with that disease.

teddtlove responded:
I have ulcerative colitis and when I was first diagnosed I didn't have any blood either. I just had tons do diarrhea and pain. You should know something the day of your scope but will probably have to wait for biopsy results for a sure diagnosis. They knew the day that I had my colonoscopy I had either Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. They just could not confirm which til the got back the biopsy. So far as your trip best advice I have is plan a head.. Look up where bathrooms are. Take a change of clothes.. Carry plastic bags with you. I had to go on a conference for school and I was vomiting up to 10 times a day and having d 20. It was tough but I made it through by planning

arbob5 replied to teddtlove's response:
teddlove has good advice. Like Boy and Girl Scouts, BE PREPARED. Ulcerative colitis is unpredictable on a day to day basis, so once again, BE PREPARED.

Also, keep track of what foods seem to cause problems and try to eliminate them if you can. But then again, some foods may bother you some of the time, but not all the time. It can be that unpredictable.

I was dx with UC almost 5 years ago and it is a learning issue just about every single day. You have to learn to deal with it,and once you do, you can accept the dx and deal with it the best you can. It has taken some members of my family and some close friends a long time to really understand what I have to deal with on a daily basis, and some still do not get it. I'm in a remission now, thank God, but that could change at any time. If and when it does reoccur, I'll deal with it.

Let us know how you're doing, and the colonscopy results. Hang in there...you can do this. God bless.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with crohn's Disease and MCTD (Mixed Connnected Tissue Disease) when I was 21. Basically I am arthritic in my tissue a...More

Helpful Tips

Crohn's Cure - Fecal Transplants Saved My Life!!!
I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.