Skip to content
Looking for answers - - - Colitis/IBS
asumom2 posted:
For the past 4 yrs or so I have been dealing with what my Gastroenterologist has thought to be IBS. A recent colonoscopy should nothing abnormal. Then about 5 weeks ago I was hospitalized with severe abdominal pain, cramps, nausea, diarrhea and rectal bleeding. At this time at CT scan revealed severe Colitis; I was treated with Cipro and Flagyl. My Gastroenterologist referred me to an Oncologist for a multi-level blood work up to see if I had a blood clotting issue to see if my blood was too thick or clotting; blocking the blood supply to my colon (no results as of today — should be next week). 3 days ago I seem to be developing the same symptoms: abdominal pain, cramps, nausea and diarrhea; my Gastroenterologist says go to the ER as they will have to do another CT scan. I have been reading online trying to find HELP, see if anyone had recommendation, or for OTC medications that may help. I cannot afford to go to the ER every 5-6 weeks. I have been reading about a product called Digestacure; their claims are almost too good to be true and the product is quite expensive; anyone used this product? Has anyone had similar issues or recommendations for me? Thank you.

miserable_sob responded:
I don't know of any good meds you can try now. When I had Colitis they all failed me. Which is why I have no faith in what let's just call it "mainstream medicine" has to offer you. I only wish the internet was around when I had Colitis just so I could search for other alternatives back then. For example now I've heard of fecal transplants and how they've been having lots of success with them. Just Google it yourself and see.

arbob5 responded:
There are several meds out there now. I was dx with ulcerative colitis 4-1/2 years ago, and my gastro dr. put me on prednisone (which is a super/or awful drug but helpful for UC) and Lialda, which is mesalamine, and that has helped me tremendously. It is, however, quite expensive. I have had my ups and downs with the UC, but that is quite normal, ie spring and fall flares. Change in weather has something to do with it I guess. At any rate, I've been in remission for quite awhile now and I am convinced, as is my Dr., that the prednisone and Lialda have done that for me. Now I am realistic and know that that combo doesn't work for everyone. I have acquaintances that have IBS and/or UC and they are still struggling trying to find the right meds. It appears to be a hit and miss thing.

As far as OTC meds, that again is a hit and miss thing. Imodil helps a lot of people. But then again, it never did for me. I don't know anything about Digestacure.

Hopefully you and your Dr. will find the right combo for you. Let us know how you're doing.

arbob5 replied to arbob5's response:
I meant to tell you that Imodium helps a lot of people and instead of typed Imodil. Sorry about that. It should say IMODIUMand it is OTC.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease in 2008. Since then my husband and 3 children have been through so much with me. Several hospitalizations, 2 ...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.