Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to handle a possible stomach bug with Crohn's
thecatgirl posted:
Hi there, I'm 20 years old and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at 9. In the past I've had really horrible relapses, but once I hit halfway through high school they calmed down significantly and I haven't had a bad once since. That being said, I haven't had the best digestion following. I was fine for years, but once I was in college I was hit with such an extreme amount of cramping gas and bloating that I went and saw a dietician a few times (which didn't really help). I blamed the cafeteria food as it went away over my breaks when I was at home.

This year, it came back again - differently, but worse. Every single night without fail, I felt so extremely bloated that I appear pregnant, with the obvious gas. It didn't matter what I ate - everything triggered it, it seemed, and it was always almost immediately after dinner that I began to feel this way. I tried to map out how I felt according to the food eaten, but it was always the same. I became discouraged and unhappy, and I saw a general practitioner (my GI is STILL booked.. until Jan 10) who told me I could have a variety of things, including IBS. Now, I already have a hiatal hernia and GERD on top of Crohn's so I really don't think I need another intestinal illness!

*** Now just a few days ago, I woke up at 6am feeling so strange, and I ended up vomiting. About six hours and 6 or 7 bouts later, I finally stopped vomiting - only to feel awfully weak and sickly with searing, stabbing stomach pain. Then started the diarrhea, which I've had since. The second day was worst and included stomach cramping, bloating, and gas (which I was afraid to pass unless on the toilet for obvious reasons). Took Imodium and barely ate that day and woke up the next feeling much better, only going to the bathroom once (which, while not at ALL good, was an improvement from the day before). I had my appetite back and was happy to seem to be improving. However, last night I woke up with the same extreme bloating and gas with a ridiculous amount of audible gurgling (which I could feel with my hand on my stomach). Was in the bathroom feeling nauseous as well for basically an hour. What changed? Why did this come back?

My grandma recently had a stomach illnesses that started with vomiting for a few hours, advanced to diarrhea, and was on the mend within a couple of days. I thought I got the same thing (saw her on xmas) when my timeline and symptoms matched, until I got worse overnight!

How do you even handle a stomach bug with Crohn's? I'm absolutely discouraged and lost as to what to do. (I'm also sorry this is so long!)

JocelyneRage responded:
I had the stomach flu last month and I seriously have no idea how I survived. I had a terrible "well if I don't eat, I can't get sick!" mentality because I still had to go to work and I dropped over 15 pounds. I recommend just drinking water and lightly snacking - like, REALLY lightly snacking. I couldn't keep down water and my doctor told me to drink 1 teaspoon every 5 minutes, and if I couldn't even do that, go straight to the hospital. Keeping yourself hydrated is the most important thing when you're sick. And when it comes to food, stick to chicken broth and/or oyster crackers. If you can handle that for a few days, start eating rice.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 34 year old woman living with Crohn's disease. In 2005 I had to receive a permanent Ostomy. I really thought my social life was over, it to...More

Helpful Tips

Pamper your Bum... As often as Possible
Most of you have heard this, but for you Newbies.. Trust me on this tip. Pamper your Bum, to keep your bum from getting raw and sore use ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.