Skip to content
Diagnosis
An_249808 posted:
My DR. labled me as having inflamatory bowel disease. Although a colonoscopy showed an inflamed lower illeum and I have lost a lot 980lbs) of weight from bowel issues, he says he"doesn't want to call it Crohns quite yet." However, he wants to put me on a med that people with Crohns take? Has anyone else had this experience? When I have called my condition Crohns, instead of the longer IBD, my family accuses me of exaggerating. I wish I had a specific diagnosis instead of th emore Vague IBD.

sheba_q responded:
If you're early in the diagnosis stage, then I can understand why your doctor doesn't want to commit just yet. You have an IBD - even getting that far is a lot. Problem is there are a few IBDs with overlapping symptoms, so narrowing it down can take some time. Here's a quick overview (look at Classification): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

Along with symptom overlap, there's also treatment overlap. It's often a case of trial and error to figure out which med is best for each person. I'm one of the lucky people here in that it only took two tries to find a maintenance med that works for me.

I wouldn't bother with what your family thinks of it right now. They don't understand what you're going through. For the time being all that matters is that you begin to feel better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am about to turn 40 in July and was diagnosed with UC in February 2010 after a colonoscopy. I am currently on 20g of Prednisone and 12 Asacol pills ...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.