Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

prednisone and stomach pain
    An_250091 posted:
    I was put on prednisone, started it yesterday, along with prilosec.
    Went out last night and had 1 1/2 screwdivers. Suddenly I had the most extreme stomach pain. Felt like a hot knife in my gut. I could barely move and the more I stressed over it the worse it got. Took 4 tums an a zantac. It took a good 2 hours for the pain to subside. Still slightly burns today.
    What is going on? Is it the new med? I do also take 150mg of morphine per day for cronic back pain.

arbob5 responded:
    I had been on prednisone off and on for years and never experienced stomach pain. Now that doesn 't mean that it can't/doesn't cause that pain. But I am thinking that the combo of the meds you took and the screwdrivers could be the culprit here. I'm just saying.....

Spotlight: Member Stories

Appendectomy - Sept 1985 Resection - Dec 1985, 18 inches of small & large intestine and colon removed Resection - June 2000, 12 inches of small in...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
    Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 28 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.