Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
strange symptoms
runnerchick posted:
I'm a 42 year old very active woman and am having a hard time figuring out where my symptoms fall. I's getting to the point where I'm afraid to go running outside anymore. When I run on the treadmill usually after 2 miles I have to urgently run to the bathroom for a bowel movement. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to urgently run into the woods because I've had to go. The other day was the worst. I had already had a movement earlier in the day so I was all excited to go for a long run. about 4 miles in I felt it but there was nowhere to go and I couldn't control it. this wasn't the first time. It also seems like when I get the urge, even when I'm not running, it's urgent and I literally have about 60 seconds. I'd also like to mention that I'm vegan so I know dairy doesn't cause it. running is becoming a nightmare. all I think about is where I can run to the bathroom. help!

arbob5 responded:
Well, it could be several things. IBS (Irritable bowel Syndrome), Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns, or any number of other things. You need to see your doctor so he can further evaluate your symptoms and maybe run some tests to make a diagnosis.

Please do not put this off. You could become somewhat dehydrated from the diarrhea, so make the appointment and find out what is going on. Meantime, drink plenty of liquids, ie water, or Gatorade, etc. This is important to offset possible dehydration. You're a runner, so you are familiar with these things.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, ok? We're here for you and want to help in any way possible.

runnerchick replied to arbob5's response:
I couldn't get an appointment with a GI until the end of March. I went to my ob/gyn today for another problem and told her about it and she didn't have any answers of course. I'm going to try to run with my kids tomorrow after work and see if I make it home. It will be on my mind all day!

arbob5 replied to runnerchick's response:
It's too bad you have to wait that long for your appt. You might try what I've done before...call back and tell them that if they have a cancellation, to call you. It has worked for me a couple of times. They don't like cancellations and will try to fill that time slot if they can.

I'm sure your run with the kids will be fine. Remember to think positive thoughts and not about what you're afraid might happen. This does work. Just concentrate on your adorable kids and how lucky you are to have them. Positive thinking...it does work!

miserable_sob replied to arbob5's response:
Have you tried any probiotics yet or Metamucil or Lomotil? A friend of mine who has Colitis swears by Aloe Vera juice too. She's not a runner though. I do run all the time though but I'm stuck with a J Pouch now, which means my Colon is missing. The only way I get by when running is to keep my intake low. Some foods fear better than others too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on 5/17/07. I suffered for years with rectal bleeding and because of my chronic constipation no one suspected ...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.