Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Preparing foods for Ulcerative Colitis
MrsStorey posted:
My husband was diagnosed with Moderate Severe Ulcerative Colitis in July 2012 when he was hospitalized....He got somewhat better after that.....he is in the middle of another flare up right now and is only drinking chicken broth and eating bananas and some soups.....I have been doing research online looking for recipes for when the flare up is over. There are so many foods it says to avoid it feels like he cant eat anything lol....Does anyone have any recipes or advice for me to do my part in keeping my husband healthy?

arbob5 responded:
I was diagnosed with UC almost 5 years ago and it hasn't always been an easy trip. I have found that fresh veggies and fresh fruit are no-nos, but then again, that's for me, and some with UC can eat these items with relatively few problems.

Fried foods, of course, are a no-no. But I have also found that what might not bother me one time I eat something, the next time I try it, I have a problem with it. We just never know. It's kind of a hit and/or miss situation.

Try to keep track of what does and doesn't affect him. That's about the best advice I can give you. And, has his Dr. tested him to see if he's lactose intolerant? Do dairy product seem to bother him?

I try to eat broiled foods, ie chicken breast, a nice baked potato, or rice, or some pasta like wide egg noodles. It's just difficult to pin down a certain diet that will agree with your hubby's system.

I wish I could be more helpful. Again, however, keep track of what he likes, does it affect him or not, and write it down so you don't forget some of these things. You are willing to help him, so that goes a long way.

Let us know how things are going for him, OK? It might take awhile to really figure this out, but I have confidence that you can do it. And ask his Dr. for any suggestions as far as diet goes.

God bless.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello My name is Kristin Im 36 yrs old with 3 beautiful sons and was dignosed with Crohns Disease at 23 but suffered most all my life not knowing ...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance for Medical Expenses
Many with a diagnosis of Crohn's or Colitis are unable to work or enjoy many social or physical activities. The burden of paying medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.