Skip to content
Having a flare.....
Lill555 posted:
Just had a colonscopy today and the doctor put me on Prednisone 40mg! I hate taking prednisone. i was fine till 2 weeks ago when my symptoms got worst. I was in remission for few years with the Azasan but now it got worst and i am so depressed

miserable_sob responded:
From what you report, I assume you have Colitis. If that's the case Prednisone failed me too. If I still had Colitis, I'd be happy to give probiotics or a fecal transplant a try. http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/17/science/la-sci-fecal-transplant-20130117
Neither existed long ago when I had Colitis. And all the meds they gave me then, which are still around today, were worthless.

arbob5 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Prednisone helped me tremendously, but trying to "give it up" is not easy. You have to taper VERY GRADUALLY. I was finally able to stop taking it but it took awhile. It is, however, for a lot of patients of UC or Crohns, very successful is controlling the symptoms of these diseases. But, like any other drug, it helps some, but not everyone. I don't know how long you've been on it, but give it a little time and let your system try to adjust to it. If after a few weeks you don't notice a difference, contact your Dr. for suggestion on what to do next. 40 mg is a big dose and you should see a difference within a week or 10 days. But again, that was my timetable and everyone is different.

Let us know how you're doing, ok? I hope you doing better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 45 and was diagnosed with Crohn's about 14 years ago. For many years I had few intestinal symptoms but have now been on Humira for a year...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful