Skip to content
life after total coloctomy- complications... etc.
jesstaya posted:
Just had a 2nd surgery to remove the rest of my large intestine in late January- no bag as they were able to preserve the rectum!! I was in hospital for 7 days- came home felt ok for a few weeks..
Now I'm miserable again- actively bleeding from small bowel, and in tons of pain..
Cant eat hardly ANYTHING without it making me sick- Has anyone had any of these problems, do they get better??
Having testing done this friday to see if perhaps I am allergic to the suture materials they used to connect the small bowel to rectum... ugh!

hannahleigh89 responded:
You have to give it time and adjust your diet. I was really sick for several months after I had my surgeries. You have to eat bland foods, no fresh veggies or seeds or grain of any kind, really. And I still have bleeding (years later) if I eat any ruffage. The mucosa in the small intestine is more sensitive than the large, so it bleeds easily. Not necessarily something to worry about though, unless it's a lot of bleeding. I get sick just about any time I eat. You just have to find the right medications and diet. And push forward.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I do have many other health issues I am dealing with besides my type 2 diabetes and Lilly my permanent ileostomy. I have been diagnosed with the foll...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.