Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reversal Surgery question
cindy1270 posted:
I had to have emergency surgery in September 2012 for a ruptured colon which resulted in an ileostomy. This came from a Crohns flare up, which caused an abcess, and so on and so on. My surgeon has said a reversal is possible in June, but my Crohns dr is against it because he says I could have more problems than I did before the ileostomy. I was wondering if anyone with Crohns has had a revesal surgery and what the results have been. I really want this done, however now I'm scared to get myself in worse shape. My bag does ok other than a constant burning around the stoma due to leakage. I'm trying to get that worked out as well. Any suggestions /info would be great! Thank you!

hannahleigh89 responded:
I had my ileostomy reversed a little over two years ago, I guess. I still have strange issues, like if I sit down for too long, when I stand up, it sometimes feels like my pouch is having spasms. And I have other issues with bowel and bladder spasms, which I'm thinking also have a little to do with my surgery. But for the most part, it's been great. I had the surgery to reverse it a few months before I started nursing school, and I'll be graduating in a couple months. So being able to do 12 hour shifts and school and all of that was made possible because I had the reversal.
I only had my ileostomy for about six months though. And it was miserable. So any change was better than that stupid bag.
Everybody is different though. I have no colon left and no rectal tissue. Just small intestine. Different parts result in different issues. Hope this helps.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 24 yr old who works full time and is finishing my Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling. I also work part time at a local retailer...More

Helpful Tips

Joint Pain
For those posting with arthritic problems and joint discomfort, I have lymes disease and fibromyalgia. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.