Skip to content
Doctor's Wont Listen - What are my options?
An_251256 posted:
In 2002, I had 2 feet of small intestine and half my colon removed due to an obstruction caused by undiagnosed Crohn's Disease. I also had terrible anemia and suspected Celiac Disease. As a result, I am unable to absorb B12. I was told that I would be on monthly B12 shots for the rest of my life.

In late 2008, I begged my GI doctor to allow me to take the B12 via nasal spray as I lead a rather active life. Within a matter of months, I was feeling like garbage. I wanted to die I felt so bad. I went to the doctor and told him that I thought I was getting a cold. While I was there, he ran some tests and found that my hemoglobin was a 7. He admitted me to the hospital right away and I was given 4 pints of blood! It was determined at that time that I was not absorbing the nasal spray B12 and I was put back on shots.

In 2009, my GI doctor left the area and I was forced to see what I believe is a far less superior GI doctor but left with few GI doctors in the area, I stayed with him. Afterall, I was in remission. The new GI doctor continued my shots... until...

My company recently changed insurance companies and I began to notice that the shots I was getting from my GI doctor were not being paid out by my insurance because he was coding them as outpatient shots and not office shots. So, I'm stuck with paying for an $82 shot. I tried getting them to change the coding but they flat out refused and my insurance company refuses to pay despite my medical need to have them all because of how the doctor was coding them. So, I was stuck in the middle. I am currently appealing to my insurance company and the doctors office.

Looking for a way around the mess with my insurance, I asked the doctor to please have the nurse teach me how to give the shot to myself. He refused! Instead, he tried to put me on the nasal spray. Yep, the one that my body wont absorb. Feeling desperate, I agreed to try the nasal spray again... until I got to my pharmacy when they told me that after insurance, the spray would cost me $140. So, I tried to call the GI doctor again to tell him I needed another route to get my B12. He NEVER called me back and it's been a week!

Meanwhile, I set up an appointment with my general doctor who tends to be a far better listener. I wanted to meet with him so that I can arrange to have the shot at his office and see if they will bill the shot correctly so I'm not paying out the nose for a shot I need. He understood my situation and agreed to give me the shot at his office. To start, he gave me a shot of B12 (three weeks after my last shot) and did some labs.

This morning, I get a call from the nurse from my general doctor's office. She advises me that my B12 level was high. She asked me again to explain why I needed the shot at all. I went over my history yet again and you could just hear the doubt in her voice like I was making it all up. I kept referring her to my medical records which documents my history with anemia, etc. She said that she recommended that I talk to my GI doctor about cutting back the shots and that I should continue to see him for the shots. Which just takes me back to the begining of my problem.

In the back of my mind, I thought about maybe stopping the B12 treatments altogether and then letting myself get sick again. So when I end up in the hospital I can say "Now that I have your attention..." but I hated how I felt when I had to get the 4 pints of blood.

What do I do? Anyone run into this issue? Anyone try the B12 patch? Does it work?

miserable_sob responded:
Now that you've brought this subject to mind, I wonder if I might have B12 problems? Especially since most of, if not all of my colon is missing? It's been that way for almost 25 years now.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with crohn's Disease and MCTD (Mixed Connnected Tissue Disease) when I was 21. Basically I am arthritic in my tissue a...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.