Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pregnancy after bowel surgery
acd2930 posted:
my daughter was 16 weeks along when she went to er for extreme vomiting and pain. After several days they realized she had obstruction and did surgery. Her water broke 2 days later and she had to deliver. they then thought she had abscess and put in drain. It was not abscess, it was a leak and she ended up very very sick and with another surgery. When she woke up from surgery, she had an ileostomy. She just had it reversed just four weeks after her last surgery because she could not stay hydrated, She has lost quite a bit of her large and small intestine. Can she get pregnant again and what are the risks? This was her first pregnancy after several years of trying and she and her husband are devastated. She is only 26

hannahleigh89 responded:
Yes! She will most likely be able to become pregnant without problem. She will need good prenatal care and she will be a high risk pregnancy, and she will most likely have to deliver via cesarian. I've had my entire large intestine removed, I had an ileostomy for six months and then had it reversed. According to my surgeon, my gynecologist, and my GI doc, pregnancy should be very possible when I'm ready (I'm 23 and in nursing school) so I don't know why her situation would be any different.

hannahleigh89 responded:
I actually spoke with my GI doctor about this last week, and she stated that the reason why they warn us that we may have trouble conceiving after surgery is that scar tissue can build up in the abdomen and block the transport of eggs from the ovaries to the Fallopian tubes and into the uterus. She stated that it is very rare and even if this happens, you can still conceive and carry a baby with in-vitro fertilization.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I came down with Ulcerative Colitis in 1984, long before I ever heard of the internet. Thus I only wish I had more resources to choose from back then....More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.