Skip to content
Colostomy
An_252246 posted:
I may need to have a permanent colostomy. I have nightmares about this procedure and the outcome of living with this. Can those of you with permanent colostomies comment on what your quality of life is like. Thank you in advance for your comments I'm so freaked out about this it is all I can think of. I'm afraid that I may be blowing this way out of proportion. Or not...

hannahleigh89 responded:
Please read my comments on the other post entitled UC. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I do not yet have a permanent ostomy, but I had one for about six months. I am also a nurse.

TheGoldenGirl replied to hannahleigh89's response:
Hello Hannah, need your help please! I've had an ileostomy since 2010 & haven't had any problems until now? I'm a little concerned that my stoma is sticking out more than usual. Its done this a few other times but then went back to original size? Have any ideas? Its a long trip back to Dr, but wondering what I should do or maybe this is normal but nobody seems to know?

hannahleigh89 replied to TheGoldenGirl's response:
I wouldn't think that this long after surgery, your stoma should change much. Is it a significant increase in size? Do you have to cut your stoma hole in your ostomy bags larger? Or is it just that it's sticking out farther?

I really don't know if that's normal or not. I know that sometimes with mine, if I had eaten something that I hadn't digested very well, it's like it would elongate to try to push whatever it was out, but that was only very temporary and usually didn't last longer than a few minutes. I would recommend calling your doctor's office and asking one of their nurses about it, they usually have more training in complications if they work in an office like that. I think that if it isn't hurting and it's still a normal color, it's probably not a huge deal, but it could be trying to prolapse or something so it's definitely worth placing a call.

Carley1 responded:
I have had a permanent ileostomy for the last 35 years. What I can tell you is that my quality of life is 1000% better since having the ileostomy than it was before! I no longer have the horrible pain all the time. I no longer have to know the exact location of every bathroom in the vicinity. I have more energy than I knew existed. I can't wear a bikini, but then I never wore one before the surgery either! All the best to you....and don't worry so much about it....

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with crohn's disease in 2008. Since then my husband and 3 children have been through so much with me. Several hospitalizations, 2 ...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.