Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
crohn's difficulties
ShannonDwyer posted:
I was diagnosed with crohn's when I was 18 and I am 40 now. I have had two colon resections that have resulted in removal of 2 feet of my small intestine. For 2 weeks now I have experienced the worst bloating and constipation. I'm able to go a little at a time, but my belly cannot take much more of the stretching. At last check, my crohn's was in remission. I don't know what else to do. I've been drinking prune juice for 2 days trying to clear my bowels out and have been doing extra outside work to help move my bowels. I am at my wits end. Any ideas???

hannahleigh89 responded:
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Extra fluids and moving around are the first step in treating constipation. Instead of just drinking the prune juice, have you tried warming it a little? Warm liquids can also stimulate the bowels. And maybe eating actual prunes would help too because of the extra fiber in the skin of the fruit.

Other than that, maybe some stool softeners (I wouldn't recommend laxatives yet) or trying other high fiber foods. Metamucil makes little wafers that have a ton of fiber in them and the apple cinnamon flavor aren't too bad, but they didn't irritate my intestine like fibrous breads or cereals usually do. Also, things like beans (especially hummus) have a ton of fiber in them.

If you can tolerate it, you can also kind of massage the bowel and sometimes that will stimulate it as well. Before I had my colon removed, I would lie flat on my bed and use my hands to kind of push around on my gut and sometimes that can help move the gas and bowel content around some and facilitate a bowel movement.

Have you called your doc?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Was diagnosed in 2004 after a year of horrible diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue and generally hell. Have had many years of trying different medicines wi...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.