Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Colitis and difficulty sleeping
AlexAmaya81 posted:
2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Colitis, symptons only include bloating, stomach pains and discomfort, shortly after came panic attacks, stress and serious nervous issues, I find it real hard to sleep at night and my doctor prescribed me Xanax to relax me and help me sleep. I have begun a healthy diet plus daily gym visits. Normally at night I always lay on my stomach and I can feel all type of rumblings in my stomach which in turn make me nervous so I pretty much just rely on pills to sleep. Today though for the first time ever in my life I was awoken up at least 5 times with shortness of breath, my girlfriend woke me up 2 of those times when she saw me gasping for air, this is all really scary for me, but I what I want to know is if my colitis or nervousness is related to my shortness of breath when I sleep (It has only happened this one time and I'm scared of going to sleep tomorrow)

Take the Poll

What helps you sleep at night dealing with colitis?
  • Medicine
  • Mental exercise
  • Physical exercise
  • Positive thinking and prayer
vote
View Poll Results

boots53 responded:
Hello I am haveing the same symptoms as you my colon swells so bad it push,s up on my lungs and stomach I have wondered if that was the cause of the shortness of breath.I only have it when i am swollen and backed up

sheba_q replied to boots53's response:
I used to sleep on my stomach, many years ago before I was diagnosed with colitis. I had to learn to sleep on my side to be comfortable.

Being nervous or anxious is not helping you get a good nights sleep - it's not going to help your colitis either. You need to get that under control.

Things do get better

arbob5 replied to sheba_q's response:
I sleep better on my stomach. I guess we're all different, but it was my gastro Dr's nurse that suggested it. I hadn't slept on my stomach in years, but after complaining about my awful sleep habits since I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 5 years ago, I decided to give it a try. It was successful for me. This is when I'm having a flare, which is right now. It does get me through the night tho. If I try either side or my back, I'm back and forth to the john all night.

You just have to find what is best for you. And Sheba is right...being nervous and having a lot of anxiety is not helping your situation at all. Think positive...this is so important. If you go to bed thinking negative about what you think is ahead of the rest of the night for you, you will more than likely have a bad night. Thinking positive works for me. I just keeping telling myself that it's going to be OK.

Give it a try...don't think negative thoughts before you go to bed or when you do retire. That doesn't help your situation at all. Keep us posted on how you're doing. We do care.

hannahleigh89 responded:
As everyone else has said, you need to try to relax. Nerves and UC are a bad combination. Since I had my abdominal surgeries, I sleep on my side or on my back. When I sleep on my stomach, I have trouble breathing. You may try propping yourself up with an extra pillow because that can give your lungs room to expand and help you breathe more easily. You may also have some sort of sleep apnea, or your shortness of breath could be related to a medication side effect if you are taking something new. One of the possible side effects of Xanax is difficulty breathing, but it is not very common. It could very likely just be nerves, or it could just be gas, since you said you are bloated, pushing on your diaphragm and not allowing it to move freely. It could be a lot of things. You should talk to your doctor and discuss your concerns.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Meg, and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in July 2007, two weeks before my wedding day. My husband is a pastor, and we are currentl...More

Helpful Tips

Trips to ER
When I get out of the hospital this time, one of the first things I will do when I get home is to pack a small bag with toiletries for my ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.