Skip to content
latest colonoscopy check
darkntall posted:
Hello family,

this morning i had my colonoscopy check up for my crohns and my dr. said everything looked really good. Since my insurance was too high to take the recommended 8 pills a day that he started me on, I only took 2/day along with Swanson's vitamin Ultimate probiotics, beta glucan, glutamine, whole food multivitamins, co-q 10, vitamin d-3, calcium, purway c, akg amino acid, and methyl b-12. To the surprise of my latest colonoscopy check up this morning, those 2 pill/day plus my Swansons vitamins helped keep my inflammation down. I thought I'd let you all know from PERSONAL experience, that Swanon's sell some REALLY good affordable quality vitamins.

Have a great day everyone!

hannahleigh89 responded:
Congratulations! That is awesome news. I'm glad things are going well for you.

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I tried Swanson's Ultimate Vitamin too. The results I had with it were negative. Right now I'm using VSL 3 and haven't noticed any improvement since I started using that too.

hannahleigh89 replied to miserable_sob's response:
Miserable, some of us just don't respond as well to probiotics. I've tried a few different brands because my doctor recommended them and I had absolutely no results. I just want you to know that you're not alone on that one!

miserable_sob replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I've tried lots of probiotics already Hannah. They were all my own decision. But I had higher hope for VSL 3 since it was my doctor who recommended it to me after a colonoscopy. I've also noticed more praise for it on the internet than just about any probiotic I can remember. Which is all the more reason why it's been the biggest letdown for me out of all the probiotics I've used so far.

beau70605 replied to hannahleigh89's response:
I don't understand, lialda and remicade and other proucts used to treat UC are members of the aspirin family.Aspirin is what caused my UC symptoms for 5 yrs until I quit taking them daily.Now I just have the numerous bowel movements all day ,any answers?

hannahleigh89 replied to beau70605's response:
Part of it has to do with the way your body absorbs it and breaks it down, but that is actually a really good question that I had never considered before. I was on Remicade for about three and a half years, and I had limited results with it. The problem with me is that I have both UC and Crohn's, or had until they removed my colon. One medicine would work for the UC but not the Crohn's, and vice versa. That seemed to be my problem with Remicade- it worked only on the UC and not the Crohn's. I was only on Lialda a short time because I had absolutely no response to it and I couldn't break down the medicine. I had that some problem with Asacol. The tablets would come out basically whole.

Are you having any other symptoms aside from the frequent bowel movements? You may want to talk to your doctor about starting some kind of regimen with anti-diarrhea products. I currently have a little cocktail that I take every six hours or so. I take 2mg of Immodium, 1 tablet of Lomotil, 1 tablet of Colestipol, and two Gas-X pills. When I am having a lot of cramping or spasms, I also take 20mg of Bentyl with the other medicines. It really does help to control my bowel movements when I am out and about and trying to get things done. I don't have a colon though, so things work for me a little differently than most people. I was also having trouble with having to get up to go to the bathroom all night long, so my doctor put me on something called tincture of opium, and it is amazing. I take five drops before I go to bed, and I usually only have to get up once during the night.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not. I'm not entirely sure what you were asking, so if I haven't answered it, please explain it a little and post again.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 26 and was diagnosed with Crohn's in April of 2007. I've always have had digestive problems. When I was younger it was more of a con...More

Helpful Tips

Prednisone short term versus long term use!
Predinisone can be a very helpful anti-inflammatory drug when used over the shortest term use that is effective. Predisone and other ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.